Mojotone Quiet Coils

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by gkterry, Jan 10, 2018.

1. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Rob, I don't think those blades can be steel, because where is the magnet? Is there a cutout for it in the bobbin?

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the "steel blade poles" are the magnets. i've amended that image that someone else created, used in my post.

image.jpeg

here, you can see the firebird type bar magnets ... notice that the top "flatware" is injection molded plastic ...

Mojotone-58-Quiet-Coil-under-cover.jpg

for the record, i'm NOT at all saying that mojo's quiet coils are bad pickups - if they work as they are designed, then they are GOOD pickups. it's just that they're not true single coil pickups, for whatever that will mean to anyone.

from the mojotone website about their quiet coil pups .... you be the judge in the matter of truthful advertising ...

Our approach was very simple, to make a tele pickup with the exact same parts and materials as a vintage tele pickup, without the hum. ‘52 “Quiet Coil™” tele pickups are passive and only use the parts and materials found in original vintage ‘52 tele pickups. Vintage spec 42 and 43 gauge coil wire, lower Gauss Alnico magnets, black fiberboard bobbins, and vintage cloth covered leads.

No PC boards, batteries, stacked coils, or anything else associated with other hum-canceling pickups were used in our design. The result is simply the most pure and authentic tele tone possible, with absolutely no loss of true single coil tone. They are warm and articulate, with every bit of single coil sparkle and twang, just like original handwound 1952 tele pickups.

NOTE: With all Mojotone “Quiet Coil™” pickups, you never have to worry about string spacing and radius issues, or the magnets pulling the strings out of tune, and you can bend the strings heavily without ever losing focus or sustain. All of this while achieving perfect single coil tone and absolutely no hum!

Quiet Coil Design Features...

-Consistent scatterwound coils for that handwound tone, sensitivity, and clarity.

-Vintage formulated Alnico magnet cores with lower Gauss levels like an aged vintage tele pickup.

-Vintage cloth covered leads for easy push-back soldering.

-Matched resonant peak frequency, inductance, and resistance of a vintage single coil.

-No routing modifications are required to fit shallow vintage routs like the taller stacked hum-cancelling designs.

-Less than 10 parts are used to build the Quiet Coils. Like a vintage tele pickup, they are SIMPLE!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    double_a and rigatele like this.
  3. jimfog

jimfog Tele-Meister

A student of mine brought in his tele build with a set of the Quiet Coil Broadcasters. I was VERY impressed, and will likely snag a set soon.

FWIW.......is it kosher for one pickup winder/seller to be commenting on and critiquing another? I haven't been on here in a while, but it never used to be. Just asking.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  4. Rob DiStefano

my post in this thread has nothing to do with specific pickup critique in terms of sound, tone, output, performance, whatever. mojotone makes and offers Good Pickups that work well. there was no critique about pickup performance. i think i made that perfectly clear, but perhaps either you missed reading that up front or my text was lacking in some manner. my comment, however, is about truth in advertising - or lack thereof. read carefully mojotone's marketeering of their "quiet coil" design offering, think about what they're saying, and let it all sink in.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

They possibly might want to rethink the passages you highlighted. JMO

6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I've bought their Strat and Tele QuietCoil sets. They are well made pickups and real effort appears to have went into their design. I don't like their marketing schtick, but it's no worse than DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan.

CFFF likes this.
  7. Rob DiStefano

exactly. the mojotone quiet coils are fine pickups for what they are, nothing to detract from what they are and what they can do for any guitar or guitarist. sound, tone, output will always be in the ears of the beholder. but the quiet coils marketing is just so wrong on so many levels, and that really mars a fine product from a reputable company..

8. Tone Specific

Tone Specific Tele-Meister Vendor Member

The bashing of competitors has become pretty common on forums. In our experience it seems most people see through this. Mojotone is a fine company & the pickup in question is probably fine too.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

So I'm guessing the MT Quiet Coil P90s are obviously similar.

For right or wrong, I'm glad I ran across this thread.

The one thing that I really don't care for, either with design or marketing, is the use of dummy polepieces in pickups. Well, if it's disclosed that they're for show only, then fine. But how often does that happen?

The row of fake screw poles in the GFS Surf 90 IMO turned an otherwise cool pickup into a bit of a turnoff for me. What you basically end up with, in reality, is a Tele bridge pickup (the actual coil windings), just in a humbucker/PAF form factor. If it was marketed as that, I think it would have actually been kind of cool, just as it's sort of neat that it has the oversized alnico polepieces.

10. Rob DiStefano

like it or not, the quiet coils are an ingenious design. in fact, they're quite like mini firebirds. the "fake news" part is about unsubstantiated marketing and pandering to aesthetic senses for a total non-vintage strat build and what one expects a strat pickup to look like, else these quiet coils would be nothing more than duncan cool rails, vintage rails, hot rails, etc.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Now knowing what the design is, I personally like it, or at least don't dislike it.

And if the pickups had EMG-like covers on them (or metal w/no holes for poles), I think that would be much more 'marketing appropriate.' IOW, I don't need to see the blades, and I actually don't even care what the coil arrangement is. I know they're getting rid of the hum somehow, and whether it's humbucker, or dummy coil, or how Lace does it with their Sensors, it really doesn't matter to me.

...And MT could differentiate themselves from Barden/Duncan/DiMarzio/etc. by touting a true passive design that doesn't use ceramic magnets, steel poles, or steel blades.

TBH, I was wondering if anything like that actually existed. I never figured I'd become aware of it under these circumstances. If the Strat set was a bit cheaper, I'd get a set of EMG-like covers and tap out the fake alnico poles(assuming I could do that, w/o screwing anything up).

12. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

"mojo" and "tone" have become two words that represent everything that is wrong with guitarist's purchase habits. The idea that subjective experience is somehow shared by others, that this company could somehow read your minds and give you what you want. But of course they can, because what you really want is assurance, and that's what they're selling. Tithe to MojoTone.

mightysteve likes this.
  13. Rob DiStefano

"mojotone" is a classic hype name, but i can understand the need to go that route as that is what society in the USA and other places around the world expect. but it's just a name to get past and no longer dwelt upon, so that what matters most is what they offer, and they do offer some very good stuff indeed.

gkterry likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ibid what Antigua says...

I've used the quiet coils in a few guitars, they do exactly what they are supposed to, and sound quite good... Of course, while that is the most accurate assessment anyone knowledgable could give, it's not what most buyers wanna hear.. they want specifics down to a spectral trace... ignoring that every installation will produce slightly different sound..

Fact is whatever Mojotone says about the pickups is probably true... as the guitar into which they installed them sounded.. however there is no way in heck anyone can guarantee they will ..(or any pickup for that matter) sound that way in your guitar.. EVERY GUITAR IS DIFFERENT and Mojotone probably had a highly skilled tech installing and analyzing them...

all you really want is a guitar that sounds good, with good being an uncertainty. Fron there.. it's ALL up to you..

It's not the gear, it's never gonna be the gear, it will always be 100% what you can do with the gear at your disposal,

r

gkterry likes this.
  15. Rob DiStefano

yes, in terms of what the quiet coils will render for the most part (tone, sound, output, etc).

it's how they advertise their quiet coils that to me is near infuriating because their build description and design parameters are total deceptive BS. i hate to see a good company with a damn good product sink to marketing hype and, well, outright lying. just say what it truly is and how they perceive it's tone, sound, output, etc, and if it's of any value, which it IS, that will take care of public acceptance and sales.

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

unfortunately, such seems incredibly pervasive throughout the world of guitars.

I don't know if the manufacturers of the "stuff" guitar guys are interested in perceive their target market as idiots or what, but some of the claims made for products would be beyond reality even for a "B" grade Science Fiction flick, and that's being charitable..

Then THAT avalanche of warm moist Bull is magnified with prolific aggrandizement in the forums by any number of people with little or no comprehension about which they speak.

It is indeed, infuriating..

r

mightysteve, gkterry and SPUDCASTER like this.
  17. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos Tele-Meister

They fit in a single coil hole in the pickguard. They give the sound of a single coil, a good single coil. They look like single coils. C'mon, they are "single coil" pickups for all intent and purposes. As in, I want new single coils for my strat and have read these sound pretty good, these fit the description of single coils in my eyes and needs. Yes, I love that they are quiet single coils. Can't wait to get them on my strat.

18. Rob DiStefano

well, with "mojotone quiet coils" each pickup WILL give you TWO separate coils. lucky you!
    umm, nope. each "quiet coil" is a pair of single coils, so to be truthful each "quiet coil" is not a "single coil". saywhat.gif

it's just a matter of truth in advertising, no more or less. get it? :twisted:

but who cares? not at all me. if they're yer cup of tea, that's awesome and all that matters! congrats!! thumbsup.gif

Bruxist, CFFF and gkterry like this.
  19. don

don Tele-Meister

Catching this thread way late to the game because I'm looking for a quiet no hum bridge pickup for my Esquire project. FWIW I have no problem with faking the look of a single coil and really don't care how they achieve the no hum feature as long as the pickups sound as described. It seems pretty obvious to me as a complete non technical guy that true shingle coils will hum and not humming means there is something going on behind the curtain

20. Rob DiStefano

CFFF likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.