Mojotone Quiet Coils

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by gkterry, Jan 10, 2018.

1. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Has anyone had any experience with either the 1952 set or the Broadcaster set of Mojotone quiet coils. Not quite so worried about them being totally quiet (though I suspect they are) as I am with at least a half-way authentic tone for these two sets.

I am not experienced enough with early 50's pickups to know what they should sound like. So, I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks for any assistance,

Greg

double_a likes this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I feel like those are marketed somewhat deceptively. They are just small humbuckers, like the duncan little 59 or the barden dual blades, with a dummy cover. The dual blade design can sound great--I have a Barden that sounds great in one of my teles. But in my experience they never sound like a single coil pickup

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    gkterry and Teleterr like this.
  3. gkterry

Thanks, Max. That is what I was concerned about.

In my first post I didn't mean to imply that I was unfamiliar with the early 50's sound. I just have not had the honor of hearing one firsthand, up close & personal.

I am beginning to think Rob's Cavalier pickups will be in my future, after hearing so much good about him & them. The problem is deciding which flavor sounds best.

preactor likes this.
  4. MojoTone

MojoTone TDPRI Member Vendor Member

This isn't true. We use Alnico and not steel blades and ceramic like the ones you mentioned. We also use correct gauge coil wire and match resonant peak frequency of a single coil along with inductance so it sits right where its single coil counter part would just without the hum.

don, Tommyd55, msg315 and 4 others like this.
  5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I have not tried the quiet coil but just because a little 59 or a barden doesn't sound like a single doesn't mean his doesn't. There are stacked designs that sound exactly like single coils to me (Kinmans), there are actives that sound exactly like single coils (fluence), and I don't see how one can generalize that all side by side designs will always sound unlike a traditional single coil but without noise. Now, I just need to convince mojo to give me a decent discount on one of his pickguard with quiet coils so I can compare to fluence and Kinmans [emoji1]

gkterry and Zepfan like this.
  6. gkterry

I appreciate all the info. Gives me even more to ponder.

7. ShadiusMcClark

ShadiusMcClark NEW MEMBER!

I will be installing a set of these in my American Special tele next week. It currently has the Texas specials in it. I will keep you posted on the results.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All I can tell you is that I own a Mojotone QC Broadcaster pickup. It is wired and installed in my Esquire project...but I gotta finish the neck before I get a chance fire it up.

IOW, their packaging is excellent! :lol:

I have nothing to compare it to. No history with Esquires. So...if it makes guitar noises and is quiet when not making said noises...I'm golden! :)

9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I haven't used their tele pickups, but I have used their QC Strat Pickups (67's) in an HSS strat. They are humbuckers with faux pole pieces, however they do sound pretty convincing to my ear in terms of the singlecoil sound. I actually thoroughly enjoy them. I don't really use my middle pickup much and I never have, to be honest, but I can't imagine using another neck pickup at this point. It's the one for me.

10. ShadiusMcClark

ShadiusMcClark NEW MEMBER!

Install update: I installed a set of the 52 quiet coils in my American special tele. TBH they are not as quiet as I had expected BUT they are much quieter than the set of Texas specials that I had in prior. The tone? I think they do capture a 50's pup tone. They are spanky bright and very articulate.
    I think at this point in my tonal journey that the Texas special suits me a little better at the moment. So I will be going back to the stock configuration.

Excellent packaging and customer service from Mojotone for sure! The pickups are a work of art. They are built like a tank and the components are top shelf.

If your after the 50s low gain tele pickup thing then I think you will be happy with these.

double_a likes this.
  11. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm ordering the QC Broadcaster set plus the prewired harness with 500k pots for a recently purchased Road Worn Tele. I have the 58 QCs in the neck and mid positions in my HSS MIM Strat and they sound great. They have the sc glassiness and bite but are also nice and meaty.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I would encourage looking at it this way... a pup maker is under no obligation to reveal the mechanical architecture used to make their wares... And in fact, it may be advantageous.. since under the "umbrella" of any specific architecture used to make pickups, a broad plethora of different sounds may be achieved..

However if that specific architecture, such as the Humbucker, is generally, and incorrectly "accused" of a specific sound.. a cognitive bias can set in that has to be negated before the new pickup can become widely accepted for its characteristic sound.

r

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

let's cut to the chase.

mojotone "quiet coils" are DUAL COIL HUMBUCKERS, therefore they are noiseless, as would be any symmetrically wound, series connected, dual coil pickup.

this doesn't at all mean they're "bad" passive pickups, it just means they are NOT true single coils.

yet their advertising is suggestively quite to the contrary.

comparing mojotone "quiet coils" to any vintage spec single coil is truly comparing apples and oranges.

know before you buy.

decide for yourselves.

14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I have the ‘58 quiet coils in an American Standard Strat. I think they sound great. Took a little more tweaking the pickup heights but overall I’m very happy with them. I can’t stand 60 cycle hum and these take care of that issue.

Just my two cents worth. YMMV.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  15. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

What are they, actually? Mojotone says, "No PC boards, batteries, stacked coils, or anything else associated with other hum-canceling pickups were used in our design." The website pictures are taken from above so it's impossible to get a good read on the design, but it seems impossible that they do not actually use stacked coils. If they do not, and they aren't traditional side by side coil humbuckers, then how do they actually work? Especially considering the statement, "a tele pickup with the exact same parts and materials as a vintage tele pickup".

16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Here’s an article I found on the Mojotone quiet coils.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/mojotone-quiet-coil

17. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

So, there are 12 cylindrical Alnico magnet poles? Okay, never mind, I see that they're bar magnets, making the coil configuration somewhat like a Firebird (but I don't see individual bobbins - looks like the coils are wound right on the magnets). Does a vintage Tele pickup have bar magnets? I don't think so.

Technically, though... a side by side design beats stacked for output because with a stacked, one coil is not producing output. With a humbucker, both coils are contributing to output.

[​IMG]
    I think this picture must be the Strat - it must be interesting getting all that under a Tele neck cover...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  18. Rob DiStefano

"Unlike the majority of noiseless single-coil designs, Quiet Coil utilises side-by-side coils, rather than the commonly favoured stacked-coil configuration."

19. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I'm very happy with my Quiet Coil Broadcaster set. I find the hidden rail business a little funny, but in sound and feel, they deliver.

The bridge pickup impressed me the most. To my ears, it sounds and feels right when compared with my regular single coils. More so than the Dimarzio Area and Area Hot that I tried in the past or my Wilde L48TL (which has it's own cool thing going on...hard to describe).

I found the neck pickup to be a little darker and more powerful than my other Tele pickups - especially when compared to the DiMarzio Area neck. It's still an excellent, distinctly Tele sound and feel, though, and it's really nice to not have the typical drop in output when going from bridge to neck. I just need to stick with their 500k pot recommendation and tweak the amp EQ a bit to get the sound we expect.

revelation2012 likes this.
  20. Rob DiStefano

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.