Mojotone Quiet Coil Hum-Canceling Strat Pickups

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by MojoTone, Dec 18, 2015.

1. MojoTone

MojoTone TDPRI Member Vendor Member

I will be releasing the Quiet Coils at Winter NAMM 2016 and taking pre-orders in the mean time. These do NOT compromise single coil tone like all stacked hum-canceling designs and there are no PC boards, no batteries, or NASA involved . Just single coil tone without the hum. And for those wondering, these are NOT the flawed split coil design where the EAD and GBE are 2 separate coils. This is a whole new approach to hum-canceling pickups that has never been done before using only traditional single coil ingredients. Pro Guitar Shop compared our Mojotone hum-canceling Quiet Coils to Kinmans, Dimarzios, and Fender single coils here.

We hoped having someone else do the video other than ourselves would eliminate any bias or confusion. Enjoy....

garrett likes this.
  2. BobUrban

BobUrban Tele-Meister

I commend anyone on trying to find a new hum canceling pickup design...but this video is misleading. It is not "...the only hum canceling single coil to have a side-by-side design, rather than the stacked style by the likes of DiMarzio and Kinman".

Lindy Fralin, Curtis Novak, and hell even Fender have commercially available side-by-side hum canceling pickups. Zexcoil is another linear-style hum canceling pickup, albeit a little bit different of beast.

3. MojoTone

Hi BobUrban,
    Thanks for your reply. I certainly do not want to mislead anyone so please let me clarify. This side by side design is not the same as Fralin, Novak, Fender or many others. Here is a picture showing how its made.....
    [​IMG]
    You can see 2 separate coils that are wound directly around our custom formulated alnico magnets. You can see that each coil is the same height and length of a traditional single coil strat pickup, which is a critical part in getting the single coil strat tone and response out of this pickup. These are not like blade pickups where the coils are wound around metal blades with a single magnet below the coils. These are closest to a single coil design where the coils are wound directly around the alnico magnets themselves. This design also eliminates string balance issues where certain strings jump out or are louder than the others and it never loses volume or sustain when bending strings, because the magnet field is solid across all of the strings. Oh and best of all you can adjust them closer to the strings without the string pulling issue from the magnet like regular single coils have. :)

For the '58 Quiet Coils I was able to use the same type of 42 gauge heavy formvar used on 50's single coil strat pickups and matched the DC resistance, inductance, resonant peak frequency, and capacitance of a 50's single coil. Basically it's as close as it gets without actually being a single coil. We also make a '67 Quiet Coil that represents late 60's spec strat pickups with 42 gauge plain enamel coil wire and grey bottom fiberboard bobbins. All utilize vintage cloth covered leads and faux staggered polepieces to retain the vintage look and feel. I hope this helps!

4. BobUrban

BobUrban Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply, these look like some well made pickups.

So those pole pieces don't serve any function, they are there just for looks? Certainly looks like real Alnico rods!

Good job, I'm sure they're great sounding pickups.

5. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

Looks cool how about Tele versions? And or hot bridge ?

6. MojoTone

Thanks! Those polepieces are just for looks yes. I was adamant about having them look like normal single coil strat pickups. I could have done solid covers or custom covers of some sort, but for me the look was just as important as the sound. I along with artists I worked with on this design were not in favor of oddball looking pickups so I had to dig deep into making them look right. And definitely NO logo across the top either! I know many prefer a guitar that doesn't look like a billboard either.

7. MojoTone

Hello, thanks for your comment. Yes I will work on Tele versions this year after we get through the release of the strat versions. Keep checking in!

8. MojoTone

Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth at NAMM and making it a huge success! The Quiet Coils were a major hit! I've got a friend lined up to do video demos of the Quiet Coils for me. What would you like to hear in the sound clips? My buddy is a killer strat player who really nails the SRV and Hendrix styles. I was thinking of having him demo the '67 Quiet Coils and '58 Quiet Coils separately, and possibly a comparison video of the 2 models.

9. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Often a picture is worth 1000 words.
    This pic is certainly worth this one: IMPRESSIVE.
    Look forward to giving 'em a try.

[​IMG]

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

so are the fake pole pieces plastic?
    They sound good in the demo, might have to check out a set, but I'll wait for a sale price hint hint .....

11. MojoTone

Yes the polepieces are just for looks. I hated the look of solid covers so I went with fake polepieces to keep the traditional vintage look. Solid covers just screamed 80's to me. Keep an eye out for sales, you never know what we might do :)

12. MojoTone

Hi Everyone,

We've got some sound clips finally. The audio gets compressed slightly on Youtube for some reason but that's the nature of it. I think the point comes across just fine. Oh and the noise you are hearing is the Tube Screamer hissing which is normal. Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  13. MojoTone

Bump for the weekend.

14. MojoTone

In order to demonstrate the differences in sound and construction of the Mojotone Quiet Coil Pickups, we made this video comparing them to the Fender 4th Generation Noiseless Pickups. See for yourself why this product is in a league of it's own.

15. MojoTone

Here's a couple of reviews of our Mojotone Quiet Coil hum-canceling strat pickups from Guitar World magazine and one of our customers who gave us permission to use his review. There are other great reviews in Vintage Guitar, Guitar Player, Premier Guitar, so check them out too. More are pouring in everyday but these are a little something in case you are on the fence about buying these. Enjoy!

Guitar World Magazine April 2016
    When it comes to pure Strat tone, it’s hard to beat the sound of original pickups from the Fifties and Sixties, the former for their sweet, enhanced low midrange and the latter for their sparkling treble and fat, assertive bass.

However, the one big problem is that vintage pickups can be very noisy in most studio and gig environments, and of course there isn’t exactly an ample supply to go around, let alone the cost if you do manage to find these coveted pickups.

Fortunately Mojotone has developed a splendid alternative with their new Quiet Coil Strat pickups, available in classic ’58 or ’67 versions either individually, as a set of three, or mounted and prewired to a pickguard along with all of the controls.

FEATURES

We tested a set of three ’58 Quiet Coil pickups mounted in an SRV Strat. According to Mojotone, these pickups are constructed using only the same materials and parts found on original 1958 Strat pickups, such as Alnico magnets, 42 gauge Heavy Formvar coil wire, black fiberboard bobbins and cloth-covered wire. Furthermore, the design does not involve stacked coils, PC boards, batteries or other features typically found on other noise-free pickups. Output measures an average of 5.8k ohms for the neck and middle pickups each and 6.2k ohms for the bridge pickup.

PERFORMANCE

Vintage purists will love how Mojotone’s ’58 Quiet Coil pickups look virtually identical to the real deal minus the years of wear and tear. But more importantly, pretty much every type of Strat enthusiast will love the fat, warm midrange and the overall sweet voice provided by these pickups. Through a clean amp the tone shimmers and sparkles, but when pushed into overdrive an aggressive bite with impressive body emerges. Best of all, these pickups remain dead quiet regardless of which pickup setting is selected.

LIST PRICES $79.95 (individual); $229.95 (set of three); $299.95 (prewired)
    MANUFACTURER Mojotone, mojotone.com

THE BOTTOM LINE

Whether you love the elusive tone of genuine vintage Strat pickups, demand absolutely noise-free performance, or all of the above, Mojotone’s ’58 Quiet Coil Strat pickups deliver the goods.

"I play out at bars with poor wiring, TV's, neon and flourencents.I keep two strats, one original 1972, all stock, #1 and one with noiseless pickup's for those times it's just to noisey an enviroment. I have tried "noiseless" pickups from four other manufacturers, they have ranged from awful to OK. Your's are OUTSTANDING ! By far so superior to all others they are in a league of their own. My band mates were also blown away, no more sighs when I have to drag out the "noiseless Strat". Thank you sooooo much." Jason Saris

Regards,

jesslm02 and Treynor like this.
  16. MojoTone

We just released the new Hot Quiet Coil bridge pickup! It's perfect for those who don't like the weaker vintage strat bridge pickups and need more output and girth from a bridge pickup. We sell them individually or in sets combined with the '58's, '67's, and prewired solderless pickguards.

17. MojoTone

18. MojoTone

We now offer SOLDERLESS prewired pickguards for all of our strat pickup models including the Quiet Coils. No soldering required (with the exception of the Lee Dickson models), just drop in and play! We are still adding images to the site so please be patient, but they are available for sale now. Thanks! http://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Prewired-Pickguards#/

19. MojoTone

Here's a great demo of our '67 Quiet Coils by Sam Vilo.

20. MojoTone

It doesn't get any more single coil than this. Real single coil tone with no hum. Another great demo of our 67 Quiet Coils by Sam Vilo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.