Mojotone noiseless vs Dimarzio Area

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tele_savales, Jun 21, 2021.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Having a little trouble deciding what I should go with to upgrade an 85 MIJ Strat. I want close to SC vintage tone as possible with a bit more bite. I’m also wondering if people Who have Dimarzios have gone with a straight set of Areas or a mixed set. Lastly, any thought on using 500k pots due to the slug coil?

2. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos Tele-Meister

I'll wait for others to reply, I am also undecided on what to put in my Hwy One.

3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've used both, but in different guitars. The Pro 54 and Area 61 are great in my alder HSS Strat, pretty hot, with nice thick tone but still chimey on position 4. The Mojotones are pretty good in my swamp ash Strat, but were not as hot as I like, possibly more vintage sounding.

Edit, I'm running a 500k volume pot in the alder HSS, with an extra 510k shunt resistor engaged with the neck and middle pickups to bring the total down to about 250k. The bridge is an AT-1.

tele_savales likes this.
  4. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

I've been pretty happy with mojotone quiet coils. They should work for neck and middle. I'd probably want something with a little more output/mids than the '58 or '67 for the bridge, but their hot strat quiet coil at 11k output probably just sounds like a humbucker. I'd look for something with an 7 or 8k equivalent output for the bridge... To get a little more bite without venturing too far into humbucker land. Kinmans would be a bit more pricy, but you could get exactly what you are looking for. Don't know too much about DiMarzios.

5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I used a Duncan Classic Stack Plus set in a MIM Stratocaster and couldn’t have been happier with the results.

Until my recent Vintera Strat purchase, the Duncan’s were my favorite Strat pickups, period.

6. timbgtr

timbgtr Tele-Meister

I had an Area 61 in the neck and Area 58 (I think) in the middle, an a Barden in the bridge. It was a great sounding guitar, but it didn’t sound like a Strat, so I replaced them with Lollar Dirty Blondes, with some StewMac copper shielding tape. Still a little noisy, but much more like a traditional Strat tone, with a strong but still vintage bridge added in. I’m very pleased, but if the OP really is noise averse, and I get it, this won’t work.

7. tele_savales

I have pretty high output single coils in all my Tele’s, and have them all super well shielded, use a noise suppressor and so forth. It would be nice to have something w close to vintage output that’s quiet in individual positions rather than just in humbucking mode.
    I know there’s tons of options if I wanted to go down the regular sc route- the Fralin vintage hots are high on the list as far as that goes.

8. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

No amount of ordinary metal shielding can stop magnetically induced hum (the same hum that humbuckers buck, if you like...). Such shielding only stops electrostatic hum and noise, which is a completely different thing.

9. tele_savales

Understood. That’s why I’m shopping noiseless pickups.

10. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

...or the Illich coil noise suppression system that works with actual single coils.

11. tele_savales

Yeah, I’ll probably never go there. Interesting though.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've got an Area 67 in the neck position of my Strat, and IMO it sounds equally as good as my favorite true Strat single coils.

I prefer hotter/fatter Strat bridge pickups, so I'm using an Injector for that, which honestly doesn't come close to some of the hot/fat true Strat single coils I've tried in the past.

DiMarzio makes some Areas and Virtuals that fall along the spectrum in between the Injector and Area 67, so you should be able to find something with the right amount of extra whatever that you require. They even offer the Virtual Solo, which is just a bit hotter/fatter than the Injector.

Plenty there to choose from, and not too outrageously priced at ~$90 new, IMO. I hate to sound like a DiMarzio fanboy, but I've ended up really liking all the Areas/Virtuals that I have in now a bunch of different Teles, Esquires, and Strats. Nothiing is replacing them.

13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I have a mixed set of Areas, 61 bridge, 67 middle, 58 neck. I like them a lot. It sounds like a Strat. I think going to regular SCs you do get a different tone, but not necessarily better. And at least where I am I get a lot of hum!

14. tele_savales

Well, I ordered a set of the Mojo 67 quiet coils. I’ll report back later.

clayfeat and Grateful Ape like this.
  15. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

In (partial) answer to OP: Areas use 250k pots.

16. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I've used both I prefer the Areas, but rather than use either, I'd rather use EMGs.

17. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I have a MIM Standard Strat with the Area set. Sounds great and very quiet but I don't get all of the traditional Strat tones. I had also considered the Mojo 67's so I am interested to see how you like them. I have an ash body Warmoth Strat that I may try the Dimarzios in to see if I like them better than what I have now, Duncan SSL-1s. The Duncan's sound good but too noisy. I also have a set of Wilde Micro Coils to try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.