1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mojotone Brownface Vibroverb Kit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by AlbertaGriff, Sep 9, 2020.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

My wallet is tingling.

SnidelyWhiplash and AlbertaGriff like this.
  3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

thank god!

Hopefully this blows the bottom out from under the 63' VV reissue market.

scook likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'd skip the JJ tubes and Italian Jensens. $962 with no tubes and no speakers.

5. fasteddie42

Just sent a feeler to mojotone through reverb.

They offered a complete build for 1,495 free shipping plus tax

Not bad...

scook likes this.
  6. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Yes, the complete kit is $1,195... So $300 for assembly is not a bad deal, although that takes away all the "pre-amp" fun... and free shipping a +++!

7. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm too cheap to buy a kit!
    I started putting together parts a while back, including an undrilled chassis, but I'm tempted to use a DR chassis I have that already has the PT opening enlarged.

trancedental and AlbertaGriff like this.
  8. fasteddie42

Just heard back about warranty, 90 days parts and labor.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's a good deal for a built amp. Heck a PCB reissue is what.. $1100+ for something like a DR isnt it?

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Highly unlikely. The Fender name goes a long way. PCB reissue amps sell better than a lot of hand wired amps that are in every way superior. :cool:

11. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Crap... that works out to pauper wages for those of us that build amps. Well, putting it perspective, I suppose Lupe, Maybelle, and Lydia were low paid while they toiled away the hours at the bench.

...Continuing the tradition...

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The brownface is really attractive. I'm surprised it hasn't been borrowed more, just the Acoustasonic amp series, is about the only amp I can think of?

TwoBear likes this.
  13. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

I built mine in a BF DR chassis, it's about 11/16" less difference in size, DR faceplate controls / tube positions are the same, apart from DR Vibrato Channel being labelled Bright on the VV .

I'm assuming you can swap a 6G16 circuit into any Blackface / Silverface Reverb amp, same size as the AB763 boards. That's essentially what I did, wired up a DR circuit including adjustable bias & fitted the 6G16 circuit. I used 6V6GT tubes.

I'll get a custom '63 Vibroverb Brownface faceplate made soon that fits the DR chassis.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Bill Moore likes this.
  14. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When you find a faceplate, let me know!
    Oh, I just noticed that where you live, the shipping to me would be crazy!

15. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Just installed Inkscape on an old MBP. I can't find any Blackface / Brownface style dxf dwg files online so will have to start to design one from scratch. It's gonna take a while!

I did a similar pair of faceplates for a Stereo Tube Compressor build 10 years ago in software & just sent the files to be printed on black / white acrylic which came out well. Can't remember anything about how I did it LOL!

Couple of hours on I'm making some slight progress, I've not measured the exact control locations / also having some problems with the layers / borders too thick / colours / text.

63 VV 6G16 DR FP.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

So who's gonna be the first to bite?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  17. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I just saw that kit last night, and then I found this thread. Now I'm really interested. But there's a lot of money to be raised first. A lot. I'd get the kit and, as @archetype said above, skip the new tubes and speakers. So much of the fun (and frustration) is in the build. With Mojotone stuff, I'm always interested to see how the voltages work out. In my experience with their 5f2 and 5e3 transformers, the voltages were too high. But I've heard that other kits of theirs (like their 5f8-A) offer transformers where voltages are closer to the original. We'll see...

TwoBear likes this.
  18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yes I had come up on all the parts of a Tweed champ and deluxe but this was years back and yeah my PT was high voltage. Ended up with a Plexi 45 sounding amp. I think there's a larger offering of trannies and voltages nowadays. It is real nice to have something that's overspect that you could pull down with a weak rectifier tube, or go the other way. Has anyone got it worked out? Off the top of my head the weaker rectifiers need three amps or more? And the gz34 only 1.5... is there a good let's say Tweed Pro that can be dropped to deluxe, without a whole bunch of switches and variac?

19. theprofessor

The PT used in this Mojotone kit is their MOJO758EX. It's a 355-0-355 PT, with an ability to deliver 300mA of current. The rectifier filaments are spec'd up to 3A, so it can indeed take a 5U4GB or a 5Y3 the like, if one needs to bring down the voltages a bit, though this will also change the feel of the amp, making it a little less stiff than a 5AR4/GZ34 (1.9A) would. I'd love someone who's in the know on how to do this to spec out what voltages they think that PT would deliver to the plates of those 6L6's, running off of ca. 121 line VAC.

The schematic and layout show 440V, and that's based on a line voltage of ca. 112-117AC.

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/fender/vibroverb_6g16_schem.pdf

http://www.prowessamplifiers.com/schematics/fender/vibroverb_6g16_layout.pdf

Here's the .pdf that specs out the PT of the Mojotone kit:

https://www.mojotone.com/transformers/Fender/Power/MT-FENDER-MOJO758EX.pdf

20. theprofessor

Because the Brownface Vibroverb is awesome, and because this guy's videos are always awesome. Though in the video, the speakers look to be JBL's, the recording is actually made with the original pair of Oxford 10k5's.

And because I love this song -- both the original by Van Morrison and this cover by Jeff Buckley -- which employs one of the reissue Brown Vibroverbs... In my opinion, the Van Morrison version is better, but Buckley does a good job of capturing the whole scat-jazz vibe going on throughout the whole Astral Weeks album.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    JamesAM and scook like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.