1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mojotone Amp Kits Leave A Lot To be Desired........

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JeffBlue, Jul 26, 2016.

1. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

I ordered the Mojotone Studio One kit minus tubes and head cab.

The amp is not simple for first time builders, I've built over 125 amps mostly scratch builds with blank chassis.

I did change the .22uf bypass cap to a smaller body cap I had in stock. The .22uf Dijon is large for the space provided. Used axial bypass caps instead of the supplied radial caps.
    Added a turret strip on left side to solder unused primary voltage wires and this also had ground lug for the two 100R resistors the virtual center tap. Added four turrets to the board and wired the B+ supply wires under the board so there wasn't so many wires all over the place. Added stanchion to the relay board for support and because the Cliff jack threads are short I some how lost the plastic nut and found a metal nut in my junk drawer which worked better because it was thinner.

The amp sounds very good. I am building a 50w version of this circuit next. Studio One Finish.JPG IMG_0939.JPG

KellyWalrus and robrob like this.
  2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Neat build. Looks kind of Trainwreckish in execution with the heavy copper grounding bus and the standoff's under the board. No flea clips but turrets are cool. Don't see many of those in the ubiquitous 5e3 builds here at the TDPRI.

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a very nice, clean build.

4. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

Yeah I have done a lot of TW amps as you probably already know.:) The buss wire thing I learned from Dumble builds actually. TW amps solder directly to the back of the pot.

The reason I posted it was to try find out if the original poster of this thread ever got his going. I had done a search and he came up on three different forums but I'm only a member of this forum out of those 3.

Mojotone changed chassis since the release of this kit. My chassis was a blank chassis that they punched all the holes so unlike the 18w Marshall chassis they were using this one has no PT cutout and no need for tube socket hole cover plates.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

in response to the title of this thread:

I have just finished my Mojo 5f11 kit. It is the first kit amp I ever built, though I have built several amps from scratch over the last 25 years, sourcing and scrounging parts.

The Mojo kit was 100% complete; every part was there, they were all labelled and packaged 100% correctly. There were a few extra nuts and bolts, but all the ones I needed were in the kit. There were a few extra bits and pieces (like terminal strips and ground lugs) that I didn't need. I only had to provide a pot and a resistor for the optional adjustable bias feature.

The documentation was complete, as far as it went. There was a schematic, and two layout drawings - one of which showed the optional adjustable bias feature. There was a parts list and I checked off every part. One of them was off - the pot for the tremolo was a different value, but that was obvious.

There were NO instructions, which I found a bit odd. Luckily I didn't need them, as I have some experience and I am able to consult this forum and others.

I followed the schematic and the layout carefully. I spent a lot of time looking at the parts and thinking how I could best proceed. And everything worked perfectly the first time I flicked the switch.

So I am giving a vote in favor of Mojo kits. I think they do a very good job.

Mr Ridesglide, The Guy and moosie like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's a great feeling, huh. No smoke!

I could see how a kit such as yours could be received both good and bad, depending on the need and perspective of the buyer. I don't know how Mojo bills these, but I'd rate them highly IF they clearly state that there are no instructions, and that it's not paint-by-numbers (ala Ted Weber), that you need to think carefully, AND either have some knowledge, or be prepared to do some outside research. I don't see having to do all that as a problem, but I would sure like to know in advance if that's the case.

EDIT: I built an Allen kit once, and it was everything the Mojo sounds like, with parts and diagrams, BUT it also came with the most complete instructions. Step by step, check 'em off. Plus a little overview of each section, so you could see the bigger picture, too. It did not teach any amp theory, which I didn't expect, but if you can follow instructions to the letter, I can't see how you'd fail with an Allen.

If someone built an Allen, then bought a Mojo expecting the same experience... it would probably feel like just a big bag of parts... One's not better than another, but make sure you get the product that's right for you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    King Fan, Fiat_cc and The Guy like this.
  7. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Maybe just change the tittle from "a lot" to "a little"?

As some have said, kits aren't legos, they're not for noobs or dummies, you got to learn, get familiar with electronics, learn how to solder properly, how to measure voltages without burning your house down, and also learn how to avoid killing yourself along the way, BEFORE getting to build your kit.

Don't blame others for your lack of expertise. They are selling you a kit, not teaching you how to build amps.

There might be one or two misses from Mojo's side, but it is far from being "a lot to be desired"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    MilwMark likes this.
  8. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No matter how you look at this - it's good they are in business, and sourcing or making hardware for folks that like to tinker with amps. Hard to say, but there may not be a Weber soon if someone buys the entire warehouse... That would be a ton of resources that would go away quickly IMO. So I'll cast a positive post towards Mojotone.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just remembering the first amp I ever built. I think it was around 1968, and the amp was a Heathkit combo. It had a full book of intensely detailed instructions, and when I finished building it - it didn't work. I had to take it to a Heathkit Service Center and I don't know what they did with it. They kept it 3 months, and when I got it back it worked.

Many years later I decided to build an amp, and I chose to build a 5f6a Bassman... from scratch. I did it, and it worked. No instructions. I wonder if instructions are just too confusing for some people?

10. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Just reading through. Seems like the OP was simply in over his head on his first amp build. Kudos to mojo for asking for pics and helping him. That's good service, IMHO.

Couldn't pay me enough to sell amp, kits LOL.

12. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

Agreed the OP was over his head with very sloppy wiring and poor grounding.

13. Michael Vilogi

Michael Vilogi TDPRI Member

Valvestorm / Metro is great. metro themselves dont sell kits, but you can pretty much get all you need including how to on valvestorm.

Mojotone kits are not all great. Some people seem to love. I built the M45, and it sounds great and has really nice parts. Infact, the reason I ended up building M45 was after seeing that my 2500+ bogner Telos had Classic Tone choke and Mojotone Transformer in it. Wiring diagram lacked detail, and incorrect vs what they send you. I had the tech verify on the phone that the parts list they send vs diagram will not match up, but hey, take it for what its worth. like i said, it sounds and plays great, but not very great 'closure' feeling when you need to basically use marshall schematics to build an amp with parts that dont line up.

to each their own.. Im just saying I have one, built it , love it , and would never recommend them again. I looked at their 18w build guide, and it's great. But the m45 is not.

I have nothing but good things to say about Allen, but thats to be expected. Allen / Allen amps are actual kits, not a bunch of parts thrown in a box with an incorrect cad drawing.T

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  14. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

I have bought several kits, and also cabinets, chassis, transformers, and speakers and my order was perfect every time. The cabinets were all really well done.

Mistakes happen, it is a drag when they do. But as above my own experience with Mojotone has been top notch.

Edit: And their wiring diagrams and schematics were fine, I thought. For me, everything worked very well once I actually built it per their docs (and then I modded...like a goose flying north in September).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    D'tar likes this.
  15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I haven't bought a StewMac kit, though I buy plenty of luthier stuff from them. They look very nice, for someone who needs a lot of guidance. First time builder, perhaps. Their service will be good, but it doesn't come free, and if it's more than you need, why pay it? Regarding "real schematics", a guy named Leo Fender drew a whole bunch of pretty good ones, I hear. Easily sourced.

Comparing S-M to Mojo is apples to oranges. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if S-M amps were simply rebranded, repackaged Mojo, similar to TubeDepot's. Each serves a different market.

Regarding missing parts, it happens to every kit merchant, including guys like David Allen. It's how they address it that matters, IMO. The only merchant I've dealt with that was a problem in this area was Weber (in the post-Ted era). Missing and unexplained parts, and others that I simply tossed, and bought my own of better quality. Also poor communication, and long delivery times. That said, Weber has a great selection of builds, and I don't know anywhere else I could have got a Revibe "kit" from.

I bought Mojo's 5E5-A kit (no speakers, cab, tubes), 15% off on a holiday sale. Didn't look at it for a couple months, only to then discover they didn't send a transformer. Called 'em up, all they said was "very sorry we forgot that, is this still your shipping address?" And I had it in a couple days. Not an issue.

Mojo organizes the parts nicely, including a bill of materials. Components are top quality, and very nicely made chassis. I got no issues with them.

LudwigvonBirk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.