Mojotone 18W Marshall TMB Kit?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Greg70, May 10, 2021.

1. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I recently finished my first build, a Mojotone Princeton Reverb, and really enjoyed it. I was looking at their 18W Marshall TMB for my next build. It's got a pair of EL84 power tubes and has a JCM800 preamp. Seems like it would sound great. Plus there's a ton of mods out there for the 800 preamp. Has anyone built one of these? I know it's early in the year but I'm planning my build for winter.

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Not a Mojotone, but I have built two 18 Watt TMB amps. They were my main gigging amps for about 5 years, one was my main, second head came to gigs as a spare, just in case (never needed it, hooray!). Loud enough for clubs, great tone and yes, "takes pedals well".

Not a ton of bass, but great cleans and enough gain for blues and classic rock. Once built, I was happy enough with the tone to never fiddle with it again.

As far as Mojotone kits, I've built 2 of them (5E3 and JTM45) and found the quality to be quite good.

_4280004.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    BB and Greg70 like this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Trinity Amps also have excellent kits.

Greg70 likes this.
  4. zeppelinofled69

zeppelinofled69 Tele-Meister

I have built a few amps over the last few years and just finished my first complete Kit from Mojotone (all others were scratch builds where I sourced the parts).

The kit quality was great, and they were super friendly and helpful with anything that was either missing or the wrong part was included. And to provide some context, it was a Hiwatt DR103 clone, so with the volume of parts, I was actually impressed that only 3 bits needed to be sent out to me... and they did it very quickly.

Can't speak specifically to their 18 watt kit, but I also have an 18W (Lite IIb valve junior conversion) and if that sounds even remotely similar, I would think anyone would be able to get some good tones out of it.

5. GregSt

GregSt TDPRI Member

@Greg70 I built one of these 18w TMB Mojo kits last year, great sounding amp, lots of gain, loud! but if I had my time again I don’t think I would choose the Mojo kit, I have read good things about the Trinity kit, or source your own parts if you have some previous building experience. Some problems I found with the Mojo kit:
    - not a fan of the board layout, is very vulnerable to oscillation, need to be careful with lead dress
    - noise issues on the TMB channel , had to do a fair bit of work with shielded cables for the input sections and re-do the grounding scheme
    - the tube sockets were absolute garbage, ended up sourcing some Belton tube sockets to replace the Mojo ones.

These were just some of my findings after the build, hope that helps.

Edit: I put a VVR in mine - pwr amp scaling allows power tube distortion at lower volume levels as well as a Tube/solid state rectifier switch. It’s my main amp and am pretty happy with it. Also, check out the 18w forum, lots of info there and plenty of feedback about this particular kit.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Greg70 likes this.
  6. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I built the Lite IIb version a few years ago (not MOJO) and it does sound great, but I feel like the real mojo in this format is the lower gain preamp that allows the EL84s to really cook. That said, they're EL84s, pretty much all they do is cook.

18watt.com is the source for all matters 18-watt related.

Greg70 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.