1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

MojoMojo vs BD-2

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Dec 16, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi, I'm using a BD-2 currently, but it is on loan from a friend.
    Would like to add an OD, and my budget is limited.
    The MojoMojo gets good reviews here.
    For those of you who own or have used both, which has more/heavier OD?
    Note; From the clean channel of a modern Bandit 112.
    Note looking for recommendations for other pedals to check out. I need a comparison of these two pedals.
    Thank you.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Boss DS-1 with the gain turned way down. Like way way down almost off. Cool thing is you can find these for $15-$25.

Although, you might have all you really need if you experiment:

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Oh, I love my Bandit, and get great gain sound with it. But it's channel switch sucks hard, so for the times I need a blend of clean and dirty, I want a pedal (or two) for that.

4. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Owned a bd2 years ago. Currently have mojomojo. It gets pretty heavy and has bass and treble controls as well.

Sounds fine with solid state imo.

emisilly likes this.
  5. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I haven't owned them simultaneously but I would put them in the same gain bucket. The Mojo being more dynamic and flexible with the EQ. If you want more gain, the TC Dark Matter is very similar to the mojo.

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys.
    Blille, I am floating between the Dark Matter and the MojoMojo. Truth be told, I'm an old rocker (60s-90s), and although I play around with blues, I always end up with a bit more gain than most would say is appropriate for the genre. :D
    If the Dark Matter can reach down into OD territory, then up to distortion, I might consider it. Have any insight there?

7. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

Are you still searching? You can’t go wrong with both. I love my BD-2 because it doesn‘t colour your sound, but the mojo can give you an ocd like low gain grit too with more mids. I think it depends on your amp. If you play more bedroom levels, take the mojo.

gitlvr and Staypuft1652 like this.
  8. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, missed your reply. I found the dark matter to be a bit too much for me, I thing the range of the OD might be more usable. But, only you know :)

9. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

I just added a MojoMojo to my board to go along with a Soul Food. I'm liking the MojoMojo a lot. Just different enough from the Soul Food to be a good addition for me. What really helped though is the TC Electronics Spark Mini Booster my daughter gave me for Xmas. I have a Bugera T-50, and the clean channel stays really clean even with the channel dimed and the master low. The Spark gives me every thing from a clean boost to that edge of breakup to full out overdrive into the front of the amp. I am also playing around with it in the FX loop as a straight volume boost, running the soul food as an always on edge of breakup, the MojoMojo adding some tasty overdrive and the Spark kicking out a nice solo volume. A great little workhorse pedal, $50 new, and I've seen them as low as $25 on the used market around these parts.

10. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

I second this. I had one for years. I may look in to getting one again.

11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks gentlemen. I received the Mojomojo for Christmas. It is a fantastic little pedal. Very happy with it.
    thanks for all the replies and help!

PBO Blues likes this.
  12. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

bd-2 its a great pedal and if it was a true bypass it would have it almost all...mojo mojo is a bit darker than the most od's i've heard.so on with the budget grap an ehx east river drive

13. brucek2k3

brucek2k3 NEW MEMBER!

I play a BD-2 Fromel modded and a Mojo through a Blues Jr III. I gravitate to the mojo. Both are great but the Mojo seems to be more touch sensitive and transparent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.