Mojave Green Rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Feb 6, 2021.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recall reading about snakes as a kid...the coral snake holds the crown for 'Deadliest venom", but as noted, much more timid and uncommon, so there are few run-ins with humans. My In-Laws lived in south central FL and had a few problems with them, mostly in the form of them wandering out of the Palmettos in the undeveloped land surrounding their homes.

I always found snakes intensely fascinating...preferably from about 6' away or through glass.

catdaddy and uriah1 like this.
  2. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Here's one I saw this summer up at my cottage. Fortunately they are not aggressive - if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.

20200630_103123_resized.jpg

catdaddy and uriah1 like this.
  3. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

In this corner, we have the King snake vs Rattlesnake and about 45 seconds

teleman1, Alamo and uriah1 like this.
  4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Snakes don't bother me in the least. Snakes (even venomous ones) are normally not going to waste their limited supply of venom on something they can't eat, and so will generally leave you alone if you leave them alone. There is so much ignorance, fear, and loathing surrounding them that mythology and truth are frequently mixed up.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Crawling king snake. Isn’t that a song

6. posttoastie

Yes it is and it was sung by The Lizard King !!!!

uriah1 likes this.
  7. posttoastie

Why cant we all get along ??

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Now I wanna go fishin!:rolleyes:

SacDAve likes this.
  9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

It is misconception that coral snakes are an uncommon species. They are in fact one of the most abundant species in central Florida where I live. What is rare is for a human to come upon one. They are most active at dawn and dusk, and spend most of their time burrowing or crawling under logs or forest debris. Most people mistake other more commonly seen snake species for coral snakes. Harmless corn snakes, scarlet snakes and scarlet king snakes are often misidentified as corals and killed due to ignorance.

Only one of the three serpents below is a coral snake. The other two are harmless mimics that live here in Florida.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

All I see are potential boots!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

We do not have that kind of nice and dreadful snakes here in France... :cool::eek:

Here's the 3 sorts we find here and there :

La Vipère - which is bite-venomous, but curable if taken quickly enough. Triangle-shaped head. Barely over 50-60cm long :
    [​IMG]

La Couleuvre - which is not venomous but inflicts painful bites. Oval-shaped head, frequently at least one meter long, some specimens even reaches 2 meters :
    [​IMG]

L' Orvet - totally harmless, cool and friendly, so cute in its brilliant Bronze color, and a good garden worker. Usually a length from 20 to 30cm for an adult, barely more :
    [​IMG]

All of those snakes will swift away - maybe except l'Orvet - and never attack you unless you attack them, inadvertently most of the time : I mean by idiots :mad: (in French : kéké) walking in tongs without looking where they put their feets.

-tbln.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

The most venomous North American snake, yes. The most dangerous, no. Although some experts would say both the Mojave and Tiger rattlesnake have venom as toxic as the Coral snake. All three snakes are highly venomous.

13. posttoastie

Red to Yellow Kill a fellow, Red to Black Venom lack

14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I was on vacation up north one year and saw a little green and grey guy slithering through the grass and made a grab for him to show to my kids--didn't get a good look at him, but there's only one kind of poisonous snake up there, so NBD. It's not like other parts of the country where you need to look where you put your feet and be on the lookout for Copperheads and other creepy crawlies. Snapped out my hand and almost got him, but he slid out between my fingers.

Then he got a couple of feet further away, coiled up, and beat his little tail quietly against the ground. Heart shaped head, big fangs, one little bead on his tail. Juvenile Massasauga rattlesnake, AKA Michigan rattler.

I never said all of my ideas were good ones!

drlucky and ravindave_3600 like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I've worked running heavy equipment over in the Mojave desert, or hauled equipment over there, I wished I had six eyes in my head to watch for those things. I'm gonna speak plain, I'm not among the live and let live crowd when it comes to snakes, I hate them, and figure a good snake is a dead snake. Before anyone lectures me on my attitude, rattlesnakes feel the same way about me, the only good TD is a dead TD, and most of 'em will render me that way given a chance.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I've cut access roads for oil companies along a fence line in remote areas and you had better be careful getting out of your rig cause you have 'em hanging around on the blade and rigging of the grader.

17. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

I'm glad they don't have legs.

Crafty Fox likes this.
  18. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That's about the only snake that doesn't gross me out:eek::eek::lol:

19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Toto'sDad you having worked the wilds, i.e. the untrammled mojave badlands previously undeveloped would know possibly how densely populated the virgin deserts are with fauna and flora including and not forgetting rattle snakes. Having to go and deal everyday with a potentially life threatening creature just so that you can earn a living could possibly breed deep resentment, I get that, it's the same as living in lion country or tiger country or bear country.
    Those areas are dangerous places to work, just as swimming , surfing or just being in the waters of the red triangle, which includes Tamales Bay is not a good Idea as the bay is the breeding ground of great white sharks. I know this and act accordingly. no one has ever suffered from a shark attack at the diners in Inverness or Seahaven. I can assure you if you park your vehicle and go inside for a bite to eat you will not come out and find your vehicle vandalized by a gang of white sharks. They know better, finally....:mad: not to get out of the water and break into cars looking for seals because we just won't stand for it.o_O Actually the signs warning about shark breeding season all face the land;) as sharks clever as they are still can not read English or Spanish.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I think your post is quite accurate in reporting the danger from shark bite in an eatery. I have been around places with snakes all of my life. When I lived in Alabama as a child a four foot copper head could hide under a brick. The waters near our home were infested with water moccasins, and in general you had to stay alert. We lived for a short while down near Demopolis in a ramshackle house that had snakes under the floor, under the bed, and you had better look when you pulled out a drawer of any kind because there was a good chance a snake was in it. I made one of the best draw and fire instinctive shots with a pistol of my entire life when I walked near a rattle snake, and it coiled up on Breckenridge Mountain years ago. If I hadn't have killed him, the guy following me would surely have been bitten. I don't like snakes, PERIOD!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.