Modulation poll. Whats your favorite two?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Nov 19, 2019.

Pick your two favorite forms of modulation.

1. Tremolo

2. Flanger

3. Phaser

4. Chorus

5. Vibrato

6. Leslie

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

The sound of a REAL B3 through a REAL Leslie can't be beat.

I don't use anything like that with my guitar, but I could see myself maybe using the built in Fender amp tremolo if I was playing ballads in a band and I wanted to fill out the sound – like in a trio with bass and drums.

I like the sound of all of them, except for chorus and flanger. Those, to me, don't have a soulful sound.

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Catalinbread Adineko. Swirling, lush, echo, delay, chorus-y, reverb-y type sounds.

Too hard to choose only one more, so...
    Boss (blasphemy, I know!)
    Phaser PH-2 and Flanger BF-2
    Not the most popular, but just sound good to me, probably because it's what I could afford growing up.

Others include:
    Catalinbread EP3

3. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I chose flanger and chorus.
    I record most of my main guitar tracks clean (sometimes with chorus) or dirty, and use flanger or chorus subtly to pepper textural tracks to be buried in the mix.
    Flanger is my ultimate favorite though. Somewhere on my ancient old four track tapes I have a backward slide guitar with way too much flanger that sounds like several planes taking off somewhat simultaneously... Sheer heaven

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I do a lot of ambient stuff, for that, the tremolo and phaser both provide subtle movement that gives more complexity and shimmer than just big delays and reverbs alone. In this context you don’t really hear the tremolo or phaser as an obvious effect, but you notice something missing when they are not in the mix.

I also play classic rock/metal and some cleanish more percussive stuff at times. My phaser is a small stone nano and I use the more subtle “phase 90ish” mode with a very slow rate for adding movement to driven solo work and the less subtle mode for clean percussive rhythm work.

I’ll use the tremolo in more traditional ways as well to add movement to sustained chords and lower register fills.

These are the only two mod effects I have had on my board in quite some time, and I use them a lot - not just for the odd effect. However, since I usually use them more subtlety, I can go without them in a minimalist setup.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Do you know what year ended the "pre-Dunlop" years? Just curious.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I had a third choice it would be a dedicated leslie effect. I have vibe that has a rotary mode that gets a pretty good leslie sound, its why I bought it. Vibe would be my fourth choice.

Heres a good example of a leslie sound applied tastefully IMO:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  7. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Fiesta Red and 4pickupguy like this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

MXR was founded in 1972, incorporated in 1974.
    The “Script“ logo era ended in 75/76 (depending on which source you read), the first “Block” logo era lasted until 1981, after which LEDs and AC adapter jacks were added; the “Block” logo era 2 lasted until 1984...

MXR started making rack effects exclusively sometime in 84/85, and then Jim Dunlop bought the rights to the MXR name in 1987.

My MXR Phase 90 has no LED or AC adapter; I (perhaps stupidly) modified mine to fit an adapter so I could power it with my Furman pedalboard. The circuit board (according to a technician who knows much more than me) is identical to a “script” board, which lends itself to the idea that this is perhaps an early “block” logo model (75/76).

So to answer your question, pre-1987 is pre-Jim Dunlop for MXR.

9. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I chose chorus #1 phaser #2 I think a subtle chorus with a JC clean is heavenly. I have never had any use for tremolo but I do like it used sparingly. I may be the only one but I can't stand flangers...yuck to my ears.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That’s a great demonstration of the playing styles of David Grissom and SRV...and I really like that overdrive.

I want to play through the Danelectro Leslie simulator a couple more times before I pass judgement. I like my Boss RT-20, but hate the giant footprint, especially considering I only use it once or twice on a 4-set gig.

I know there’s better simulators out there than the RT-20, but (again), I don’t use the effect enough to pay that much money for a song or two...but when I need it, DANG, that’s a cool sound...

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Ring modulator, very cool, very misunderstood, way better than chorus.

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Tremolo #1 by a country mile
    Chorus #2 for me... though I don't have a true chorus pedal, I just have my DMM, it seems a bit more subtle than classic dedicated chorus pedals.

D_Malone likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I loves me some tremolo.

For the swirly stuff I prefer tape echo w/wow and flutter simulation, and/or modulated reverb instead of a chorus or phaser. Just my personal preference.

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, about 95% of the time this is where my “chorus” comes from. The EP-3 sim of my TC Alter Egox4 w/wow and flutter up. Tri-Chorus sounds good on the trails of the EP-3 too. In fact, I want to try to use my Boss Dimension C DC-2w on the EP-3 sim trails only if I can wire up my W/D/W to do that. But I agree, you get the unaltered tone of the guitar followed by the beautiful mod/delay. My old EP-3 had the ol’ ‘turntable stretchy red o-ring for drive belt’ thing back in the early 80’s for more modulation. The Rolands had chorus built in but it didn’t have EP magic. As soon as the Alesis Quadraverbs came out everyone bailed on their tired tape echos and the 80’s ensued.

D_Malone likes this.
  15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

flanger or chorus is a must for what i do. i've never really tried a phaser.

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have to say, I don't like pitch shifting vibrato at all. Not sure why. I didn't even like the vibrato in my 60-61 Brown Super. Just not my thang I guess.

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

The tremolo on my Blues Cube Artist is gorgeous and all I need from a tremolo. For chorus, I haven't found a dedicated pedal better than the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus.

[​IMG]

4pickupguy likes this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

why beause

i want to sound like Johnny Marr and Robert "my bad hair day" Smith

cyclopean and 4pickupguy like this.
  19. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Votes to trem and chorus because they generally get the most use. But they are all useful in context.

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

and christian death and alien sex fiend and sisters of mercy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.