Modulation poll. Whats your favorite two?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Nov 19, 2019.

Pick your two favorite forms of modulation.

1. Tremolo

2. Flanger

3. Phaser

4. Chorus

5. Vibrato

6. Leslie

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

The 2 modulation effect that I use is Phaser and tremolo.

Roland MicroCube "Funk-Phase" style rhythm :

1966 Gretsch G6160 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman amp "Dirty-Soul-Tremolo" style rhythm :

What were the guitars used ? I don't remember... :oops:

-tbln

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and 4pickupguy like this.
  3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I'm relatively new to it. For a long time all I used was a tremolo, then a year or so ago I finally started using a chorus. I've been wanting a Vibe for a while for Hendrixy type stuff but haven't pulled the trigger. Lately I've been into flanges. I don't care for Phase as much but knowing me that'll change.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think I'll always end up preferring effects like these that IMO sound good with both a clean and overdriven sound. So for me, that means trem and vibrato.

If I had roadies to dote over my gear for me, I guess then I wouldn't mind having a flanger and phaser on the board. I just don't use them for enough stuff to go to the trouble. And they just kind of sound gimmicky to me with an overdriven sound, although I understand that might appeal to others.

For right or wrong, I'm absolutely sick of chorus, too, even if it's set soft/subtle.

I'm mostly just playing "twang rock" these days, so that has as much to do with my preferences as anything else.

5. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

I love tremolo even though I don't use it often it always brings a smile to my face. I'm using the EQD Hummingbird repeat percussion so it's generally a hard choppy wave but the extensive controls give it a wide range. For the most part I like Chorusy-Flangery types of effects to be as subtle as possible so they just impart a little extra sparkle to the tone.
    I really loved the Lovepedal Butterfly Kiss chorus (the chorus for people who hate chorus) as it could be super subtle but it had a tendency to add volume and be noisy with other pedals. I'm currently using the Walrus Julia Chorus which comes very close to the subtlety of Butterfly Kiss without the drawbacks although the tone isn't quite as special.
    Flanger fans should check out Alexander F-13 pedals. Again the controls give it a wide range from super subtle to sci-fi effects.

6. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I do the same. I use two MXR Chorus pedals (the yellow one) and set them up at two speeds. I turn one on and off to simulate speed morphing like a Leslie. It can't sound exactly like a Leslie tone cabinet but it works well enough to suit me.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Is Leslie your substitute/approximation for Univibe...because I don't see Univibe & that's my number #1

4pickupguy likes this.
  8. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Tremolo. Haven’t been using it much recently, but I like it a lot.

I also have a chorus / univibe. I use it a lot, mostly on vibe. But for some reason, at the moment, it doesn’t seem so important to me. I’m using it more like ‘distinct tone option’ to separate parts, rather than as ‘sound I want.’ It could be anything.

Pax/
    Dean

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was thinking univibes fell under vibratos as strictly pitch modulation, Leslie being pitch and time modulation. Some people use chorus to get there, some use vibe to get there. Can kinda get to "sawing BBs" territory easily over those two. I use a Digitech Ventura Vibe for leslie stuff. So for leslie pedals I was thinking Neo Instruments Mini Vent II's types. I think of "vibe" in terms of univibe as being a separate effect unto itself, its not leslie and its not anything like the others, its in my mind that Hendrix, Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, thing.

6407E2F0-CFDA-42AF-AB1E-A392407C8B7B.jpeg

I voted for Tremolo and Chorus for my faves. No surprise that trem is top dog here because its used in all genres pretty regularly.

For chorus I think of it as a fusion sound to open up complex chord voiceings. Nothing does this like chorus. I dont like the 80's chorus stigma because its like anything else, its how YOU use it that makes it bad or good. I do cringe at some of the over chorused 80s productions though.

This sound is how I like to hear chorus:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Nice, I’m in for the most popular and least popular.

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Univibe seems like a variety of chorus that can also be run in vibrato mode (like some other choruses e.g. the Wampler Nirvana and Walrus Julia) by switching off the delay/phasing effect. I also hear a tremolo going, particularly at high intensity settings. In fact I hear elements of vibrato, chorus, phasing, and tremolo all wrapped up in a swirling hifi psychedelic soup. The original was intended to simulate a Leslie, and although it mostly failed at that you can hear it try at faster speeds. It’s my favorite effect. Mine is the latest Fulltone Deja Vibe; which sounds very true to the original with a clone of the photocell system under the hood; I first tried the MXR version but put it back in the box for good after five minutes; YMMV. I like to mess with the speed of the Deja Vibe with an expression pedal. That helps bring out the Leslie-ness.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    StratmanSteve likes this.
  12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Trem only for me

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Just chorus for now

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Tremelo is indispensable, chorus is a very distant second choice.
    I once loved chorus, and used it perhaps to a fault till about ten years ago.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I mean, the only correct answer is ring modulation...

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In order of must have:
    Tremolo
    Chorus
    Vibrato
    Univibe
    Harmonic Tremolo

I actually don't have anything but straight trem (Diamond) and harmonic trem (Zeppelin Designs Labs), and I was being stupid when I sold my Walrus chorus/vibrato.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I chose Tremolo, and Leslie
    ( which I don't really differentiate from Vibrato- maybe I'm wrong, but they both modulate pitch and speed right?- referring to Leslie/ Vibrato)

I don't use either very much but there when needed:

I have an Boss Tremolo ( modded to NOT lose volume when engaged) that when used with my BJ sounds almost identical to Tremolo of my ( gone) '68 DR.
    My Vox Pathfinder has built in Tremolo, very nice- rich!

So I use Temolo on some old R&R/ blues/R&B if I chose

For my Vibrato/Leslie sound ( and this is more of an approximation of the effect, than super dimensional/ stereo- but still a dramatic change on my guitar sound)
    I actually use a Boss Chorus Ensemble, set to the ' rotary speaker/ vibrato setting ( heavy on Lows, Rate cranked, Mix pretty wet, Depth/Modulation at half)
    Makes for a pretty thick/ full organ sound. ( with a 2nd amp it you can split wet/dry - just never bothered - keep things ' gear minimal' for bar gigs)

4pickupguy likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a big tremolo fan and user. Otherwise, a dab of vibrato perhaps.

Yup, I'm an old fart.

4pickupguy and StompBoxRacer like this.
  19. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Trem is my favorite by a mile. The prettiest guitar sounds to me are '50s Pops Staples and Bo Diddley.

I put vibrato as second, but I use a Boss BF-2 (flanger) for vibrato and chorus sounds, so it might have been more honest to say flanger. I just don't like that whooshy Van Halen sound most people think of flanger.

4pickupguy and 8trackmind like this.
  20. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^count me in this club too. if i could've voted for tremolo twice i would've

i feel like chorus gets rediscovered once every 10 years or so... and is immediately overused and gimmicky. count me in the "sick of it" camp too. a simple/minimalist approach to guitar sound will always be cool... where some of these effects will sound really dumb to you in a few years. and if they don't sound dumb to you... they will to me haha

TokyoPortrait and black_doug like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.