Modulation poll. Whats your favorite two?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Nov 19, 2019.

Pick your two favorite forms of modulation.

1. Tremolo

2. Flanger

3. Phaser

4. Chorus

5. Vibrato

6. Leslie

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Tell us why you chose your two. Tell us how you like to use them. Post a favorite example of your choices.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Vibrato #1. Some songs just need it. Ballads or swampy stuff.
    Chorus #2. Real slow on the time, not too much depth, it just makes some SRV, and other stuff "sound right".

Interestingly, I have discovered while using loopers, that playing the identical thing over a loop pretty much creates the chorus sound. You can't play perfectly the same phrasing ....so it comes out like chorus.

The other thing I found accidentally is playing bass lines on guitar, and looper doubling like that creates a Jaco Pastorius freetless sound. With some research I discovered that Jaco's setup was like that, he doubled his bass lines a lot. I always wondered what the heck made him sound like that.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've almost always had a chorus on my pedalboard. It's pretty essential to my rig. I picked a phaser for the second choice, although I don't use it often. A little is good, but it can get old real quick.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It’s dang near Impossible for me to choose, except I generally detest chorus.

I use the vibrato/tremolo/whatever on my ‘63-reissue Vibroverb liberally, and I love my old pre-Dunlop block logo MXR Phase 90...I also had a years-long quest for a good, affordable Leslie simulator (a Boss RT-20 suited my needs)...and although there’s not a flanger on my pedalboard, I’ve used one on several songs that I wanted a 70s Hard Rock sound...

David Barnett likes this.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Chorus #1 (and Vibrato with this pedal): Offering Distinctive lush chorus, amazing vibrato, the RetroSonic Chorus Ensemble is the only true reproduction of the 1976 CE-1 using the original analog BBD.This pedal provides the distinctive lush chorus, and true pitch-shift vibrato, of the late seventies “CE-1” using the same analog BBD as the original unit. The Chorus Ensemble’s unique tone is the standard by which all other chorus effects are measured. The Retro-Sonic Chorus is capable of a wide range of sounds from analog chorusing to pulsating vibrato, having the unique Vibrato feature that was incorporated on the original which can simulate a Leslie rotating speaker. The chorus and vibrato functions are selectable through a footswitch control, allowing desired presets to be maintained separately.Features:Chorus and vibrato effects selectable by footswitch controlMono and Stereo OutputsOverall Level control to adjust perfect unity gainHeavy duty foot switchSpeed indicator LED for Chorus/vibrato settingPowered by 9VDC adapter (not-included)Uses MN3002 BBD as original CE-1Noise Killer circuitry to eliminate noise generated in the BBD.Controls:Level: Controls the over all volume of the effect. Rotate clockwise to increase output volume.Chorus Rate: Adjusts the speed of the chorus when in chorus mode. *note: With the depth set to fully clockwise, this control acts as the original “Intensity” control on the “CE-1”, controlling the intensity or amount of chorus applied to the incoming signal. (Thicker sound as you rotate clockwise).Chorus Depth: Adjusts the depth of the chorus when in chorus modeVibrato Rate: Adjusts the speed of the vibrato when in vibrato modeVibrato Depth: Adjusts the depth of the vibrato when in vibrato modeNormal/Effect Switch: Stepping on the switch turns the effect on and offChorus/Vibrato: This switches between the chorus and vibrato effects.Chorus/Vibrato LED: Just like the original, this LED will flash in accordance to the speed setting of the active chorus or Vibrato effect.Stereo: Output jack to connect to the input of a second amplifier for stereo use (wet/dry signal out)

I love Chorus as I love playing Police tunes and this thing does the Andy Summers thing perfectly.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting that chorus is winning for the moment, I though it was the most hated effect?
    Flange just gets ignored but chorus gets the hate.

I voted flange and phase, but only a few examples are likable to me, and I'd say flange is mostly pretty terrible until you find one that isn't.

I recently bought a vintage MXR micro chorus hoping it might make me like it, and it's cool but not that cool.
    The MXR micro flanger in vintage form has a nice subtle moving chewy vocalization without being swooshy, metallic or jet plane.
    The old micro chorus is nice and fat toned, less overt '80s than most despite being '80s.

I actually sometimes like the Ibanez 10 series chorus pedals but not recently.

I also bought a Mooer Elec Lady flanger for the chorusy mistress style flanging, but it's a little to metallic to my ear.
    AFAIK the metallic thing is caused by a bbd chip that can't do a short enough delay, which is also AFAIK what makes flange into chorus: longer delay.
    Could be wrong about those details though, I forget...

7. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use all of them except flanger, but I use Leslie and tremolo the most. I would have picked vibrato third.

8. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Mine is a Uni Vibe clone, the Fulltone Deja Vibe, the latest mini-model. It has become my only modulation. I guess it counts as a chorus. I bought it to sound like Trower and Gilmour but its much more than that. Can be slow and subtle or fast and warbly; does not suck tone; sounds 100% analog (because it is); seems to add a high-fi depth and shimmer.

StratmanSteve and Deathray like this.
  9. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Flanger-----MXR micro flanger----used lightly on only a few songs, great for slow strums, and gives surf music a new dimension.
    Tremelo----also used sparingly, gives some nice movement when it will compliment the song.

10. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Flanger and tremolo for me. I love how a light flange gives clean and dirty tones a huge 3D feel without sounding intrusive. Tremolo for adding some swamp or shimmer, or a subtle throb through a wet/dry rig.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If it were up to me, they'd gather up all the chorus pedals in one great pile and incinerate them.

Or, for less of an environmental impact, just send them all to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and let the earth consume them in a subduction zone.

teletimetx and Fiesta Red like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I voted "chorus" and "Leslie". Because I use my chorus as a Leslie/Hammond. So faster speed, medium depth, give or take.

Basically when I feel like a song needs a part with more of a keys feel than guitar.

Chorus may be the most hated effect but I also feel like it's very misunderstood. It's a great way to create space or differentiation without volume. I wouldn't like it on all the time with tons of distortion I suppose.

davguitar and Fiesta Red like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like phaser and i'm torn between tremolo vibe and leslie.

If I could have only one it would be Phaser.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

Phaser and Leslie for me.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Tremolo - bais style, like on a Princeton. Which I have :) I also use and like a Fender Treverb, and a Malekko Tremelo.

Leslie - I got the new EHX Mod 11. It's only an occasional effect, so I don't feel the need for a full-fledged Leslie simulator.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I'm a swirly-head. Put me down for a Leslie.

Bob

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Flanger - I like the sound with variable tweaks on a clean guitar track.

Chorus - It sounds so nice with Maj7 chords in slow songs.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Tremolo is the only one I need, and boy do I need it. Phaser or Univibe for a changeup.

StratmanSteve likes this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Tremolo es el numero uno. By far. Perhaps because I live in a f*ing swamp. Either the Boss TR-2 which has been on my pedalboard forever or the various Fender amp "Vibratos" which sort of lends confusion to the choices, no?

My evil twin Skippy asks: "Is not the Fender amp vibrato a tremolo effect? Are the waters now as muddy as a swamp?"

As far as whatever comes next, it's a dogs dinner. Sometimes Leslie, or whatever you want to call my EHX B-9 pedal, or sometimes chorus or phaser.

There will be no flanging in this house. Well, not yet. Skippy seems to like it, but he's evil.

20. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Tremolo and only tremolo for me.

And made in Canada by Diamond.

maxvintage likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.