1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modtone BuzzBoy gets stepped on tonight!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Feb 10, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Like many folks, I took advantage of the SDOTD last week for the BuzzBoy. I've had a few fuzzes, but they've never stuck around very long. That's surprising, because I love that sound. Since our band is down to a 3-piece, I thought I'd give it another shot when the deal came up. Thicken up the sound a bit for some tunes. For $40, I figure I might as well. Now, I know there are not a lot of fans of Modtone out there, and I've never owned one of their pedals. I'm looking forward to trying them out, but I'm not getting my hopes up at the same time.

I've had an EHX Muff Overdrive, FuzzFace mini, and I've tried out the other FF Minis, as well as Big Muff Nano. I liked the Muff OD the best, but didn't like that it was one knob. I wanted to more control. FFs seem to be all or nothing when it comes to my guitar's volume knob. I'm hoping I can get on board with the BuzzBoy and maybe, this one will be the keeper.

Looking forward to rehearsal tonight!

2. mistermullens

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this pedal. I've seen some folks bash it and ModTone products in general, but I found that I like it...so far. I wasn't able to really use it on the songs we were scheduled to work on last night, but it has a nice range of fuzz tones. Jimi - check. Zep - check. Some down home, dirty delta blues - super check!

The pedal responds much better to the volume of the guitar than a FuzzFace. The "fizz" knob is a great description. This is basically a tone knob, and will take you to vintage to modern fuzz pretty easily. I do see a bit of difficulty finding the sweet spot for one's taste, so a little extra time may be required to dial it in the way you like it. I kept the fuzz control between 9:00-12:00, but mostly hung out about 10:00ish. Fluff equals volume so nothing to report there.

I think this is a good little fuzz, especially for the Stupid Deal price of $40. It can get pretty thick if you want, or you can thin it out. I love fuzz when I play slide, and this pedal was no different. Not bad at all.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Care to elaborate? Because nothing responds better to the volume of the guitar than a Fuzz Face

4. mistermullens

The fuzzfaces I've used, which have only been the minis, didn't respond to my guitar volume (knob) all that great. When I dialed back the volume on the guitar, the fuzz basically went away. All or nothing, as stated in my original post.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh. That's what I like about a fuzz face, you can leave it on and get clean, overdrive and fuzz.

Anyway, glad you like the pedal! That's a good deal

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.