Mods to your Baja?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by audiopablo, Apr 17, 2020.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Anyone have a modded baja? 60s or 50s, what little changes did you do?

2. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

me: I had a sonic blue 60s twice. First one was a case of dog with two bones. It was near perfection, but I thought I could do better with a more expensive guitar and missed a tummy cut. Unwisely sold it. Missed it. Bought another, but it was nowhere near the first - not sure why, but the first came together in a unique way. That one was moved on.

My friend's candy apple one was great, but he decided to mod his. He changed pick ups to noiseless. Then he wanted a green body. He sold me the body, switches and pickups. I put on a different neck and a 64 bridge with pickup assembly (they sell that packaged).

I swear it has more charm than my american teles (to me). Something just perfect about it. It resides in jangly territory, but I love the series position.

If I could build one from scratch: daphne blue, pickups as described above (neck pickup from the 60s with the 64 pickup in bridge), 4 way (or it wouldn't be a baja to me), maple neck from American Deluxe (compound radius), locking tuners, bridge from AM Pro.

Maybe I need to build this. I'm no luthier though, so if it doesn't all fit right, I'm kind of stuck.

bonus: if I could get that fat headstock from the mim deluxe (is that a CBS headstock????)

3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I only changed the pickguard from white to black, nothing else, it just can't get any better than that. ;););)

4. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

what color is the body? I am inspired to go black today when I have time. I had one on it for a bit, but it got so dirty. I'm not one for a clean guitar, but maybe I've got some dirty fingers!

5. Thin white duke

Mine was like this.
    tele1_1024x1024.jpg

And now is like this.

ulim5gp5rnsrd8ocbwok.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  6. Thin white duke

Do you want to paint the body in black ?

7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mine is drilled for an 8-hole pickguard, but I still have the 5 hole unit on it. Other than that, bone stock.

8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My 2006 Desert Sand was just begging for a black bakelite guard. $11 from Stew-Mac.

capt pearl likes this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for all the replies about ripping out the S1. I don't get it. I kept mine, I sometimes use the extra sounds, and it's not doing any harm. If it ain't broke . . .

Ebidis, nicknklv, archetype and 2 others like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I take it the other way, I don't have a Baja but I mod my other Teles to have a 4-way switch. It's become my auto-mod for any new Tele I'll play regularly (as opposed to planning to flip it).
    I like to rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the rear.
    A generic MIM Tele used with a $12 4-way switch is much easier to spend on than finding the, becoming rare, Baja models.

General Baja mods include +1 removing the S1 switch. It's fiddly and some players don't like the tones. I'm surprised why any fancy mods get put on the volume knob because that pot gets all the wear and tear and fails long before a tone pot does where a normal pot is easy to change the S1 is chock-full-o-wires.

audiopablo likes this.
  11. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I take out the S1 switch and replace with an audio taper CTS pot. Got much less noise and a bit stronger signal to my ears.

I also like to replace the pickups and change the bridge plate to a slightly thicker one.

I swapped the nut for tusq and change the string tree for the US one - those 2 things really helped with tuning stability since I bend a lot.

None of these really necessary, just little things that helped perfect it for me. I would definitely take out the S1 if nothing else.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I bought my '09 Baja about five years ago and quickly installed a flatter guard and new jack. I had some misgivings about the complexity of the electrics and fully expected to have problems, at some point. 100 gigs later....nothing else- the guitar is pretty much stock. The neck, frets and pickups suit me perfectly.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

On my other tele a 2007 ash fsr I swapped out pickups, bridge, guard, and jack socket to get it to where I wanted it.

But my 60's Baja with a PF board is just right the way it is and I don't plan on changing a thing. The moon musta been right when they put this one together. Plays good, sounds nice and looks great (sonic blue). The only additions were a blue lizard theme strap and a bridge cover.

I like the slightly wider neck and sweet pickups on the 60's Baja. I don't use the both in series or out of phase settings much, and the switching seems noisier but all in all this one has become a favorite.

14. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The only mod I have made to mine over the last year and a half was to switch the bridge out with this one. I kept the saddles and everything else. I just didn't like the raised section of the bridge under my palm. Otherwise, bone stock. I like the S-1 option so it's staying. It's a great Tele for a great price.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Flipped the control plate

Ditched the S1

Put single coils at the ends of the 4 way

Fender tilt compensated saddles

Perfection!

16. Jack8th

Jack8th TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Since I never learned to leave will enough alone ………….
    Pulled the S1 and rewired to 3 way
    Mr Rutter's saddles and control plate
    Electrosocket jack
    Changed the pickguard
    Other than that, its completely stock

Plustop and Milspec like this.
  17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

50's Baja, the blackguard looking one.

Mine has Cavalier pickups in place of the stock whatever they were. Compensated saddles from Stew Mac and an electro socket.

I would pull the S1 as I neither like nor use those sounds. The real issue for me is that on stage, eight times out of ten when I am going for the neck pickup, I accidentally get the neck/pickup combination instead. It's aggravating. If it weren't for that, I'd leave it, just because it's the path of least resistance.

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have a 50's that I love. I dont use the S1 setting much either but every so often its handy.

I like the Baja much more than the original AVRI I had on long term loan. Maybe I just didn't get Teles then but pretty much instantly like dthe Baja over the AVRI.

I'd really like to try the 60's (especially if it has a slightly wider neck as mentioned above) but down here thats impossible without ordering from Ebay or MF sight unseen.

That and im still hankering for a tele with a factory bigsby.

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Yeah I can see that, it seems like the "humbucker" position would be better as the next to bridge pickup rather than next to neck.....presumably that can't be modded to do?

20. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Replaced the entrie control assembly since my S1 was defective anyway. Went with a loaded set with cloth wiring and quality components.
    Replaced the factory guard for a thicker bakelite one
    Upgraded to an electro-socket
    Upgraded saddles to brass compensated ones (hipshots I think I used)

Everything else seemed good to go. I almost replaced the tuners for locking style, but the factory ones actually seemed pretty solid so I stayed with them.

(This was the '50's Baja)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.