1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mods to Super Reverb (please comment!)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by richon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. richon

richon Tele-Meister

Hi , this is my post to the project i'm about to start

a ONE CHANNEL with reverb , NO vibrato/tremolo, Super reverb Clone

Please look at the picture of the schematic and comment the following questions:

1.- Normal Channel not conected: V1A and V1B plate resistors not conected
    2.- bypass cathode resistor of V2B (recovery of EQ in Vibrato channel) changed to 1,5K
    3.- No vibrato connected
    4.- 220K mixing resistor (and 0.1uf after reverb recovery) omited
    5.- V4 (reverb recovery) conected directly to the 0.001uF coupling cap in the PI

6.- in the bias section, should the 2,2M resistor (inside the green box) be stil used (to avoid building the vibrato section)?

thanks, I'll post more of it as we keep on building it together.

Attached Files:

2. laird

laird Tele-Holic

That all looks correct to me. I think that #6 (the 2.2M resistor) can be omitted - it's used to create a high-impedance load for the oscillator, it shouldn't affect biasing at all.

Since you're doing a scratch build, how about replacing the 1M input grid resistor on the reverb driver with a 1M pot? This will give you a reverb dwell control.

-Laird

3. richon

richon Tele-Meister

excelent,... i'll post a revised new Schematic with all mods available.

4. richon

richon Tele-Meister

Now this shows my mods :

No vibrato connection
    Bias without vibrato part
    Cathode resistor of V1B
    Maybe Reverb Mixer mods

now, How obligatory should a Tube Rectifier used on this amp?

why not a simple Diode Rectifier?

Attached Files:

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Richon,

Tube rectifiers create a nice sag when pushed, one of the reasons we love Super Reverbs up loud... you can also change it easily over to SS rectification using either a copper cap (from Weber) or some sort of plug-in for that socket, like what the Bassman re-issue had when it first came out.

If you're going to modify the reverb controls, you might as well go with a complete 6G15 reverb unit, ala Vibro-King... it IS a scratch-build, why not?

Franc Robert

6. richon

richon Tele-Meister

yes, I was thinking of adding some controls more to the reverb section (as I allready have a 6G15 reverb unit that I like a lot)

My 5E3 amp, has no Rectifier tubes and compresses a lot also...

so, should I also add a rectifier to the super, or it would be as a tinny Twin reverb with SS rectifier?

7. laird

laird Tele-Holic

I'd build it to use a tube rectifier. You can plug in a Weber copper cap (which emulates the voltage drop and sag of a tube rect), a straight SS recto (Groove Tubes has one), or go with the real deal. Just be aware of the big B+ increase with a straight SS recto- expect B+ to jump 30v.

-Laird

8. richon

richon Tele-Meister

I was planning on building (ask a friends factory) to wound a special Power Transformer to have the Voltages ok, even when using SS rectifier (like another amps i've build) to avoid using the amp with too high plate voltages

Besides this, right now i'm wandering how to set the bias pot and voltages connection to have the right bias on my amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.