Mods on a super reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by candybluecrook, Oct 18, 2011.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Yep it's a 2x10. You have to change the resistor on the bias pot to get it in the range for the 6V6's. I'd only try this with JJ's, cuz plate voltage and the PT's ability to supply consistent current will fry most other 6V6's. I run a 5v4 for decent sag.

2. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

+1

3. candybluecrook

candybluecrook Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that's about right. It has worked this way for a long, long time. See my father originally owned the amp from when it was brand new

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'd consider using a BF / SF Bassman OT (4 ohm load) or a Bassman 10 OT (8 ohm load). I have a couple trashed Bassman chassis kickin' around. I'm not a big fan of the stock 2 ohm setup. Way I figure it 2 ohms is practically a short...

Another option would be to buy an upgrade tranny from Allen Amps.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The closest one in this picture is my 66 in a 2x10 JD Newell cabinet. You can see the size comparison to the 65DRRI and the other 66 BFSR in the back. The only one I still have in this pic is the 2x10 Super (the closest in the pic).

Ralph likes amps...
    [​IMG]

6. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

My 1964 Super Reverb came with Jensen speakers. Great amps. The JBL D130 is a great speaker though too and a lot of guys back in the day liked running those. The Jensens sound different the the CTS alnicos but they all sound good in a Super Reverb. Have fun, Wayne

7. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

I recently acquired a 59RI Bassman with two 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers (8 ohms each wired in parallel) in its baffle. Thus the amp was modified into a "Bass Breaker" but has the original 2 ohms output transformer (OT). It sounds great as is. Real operational impedance is probably less than 4 ohms anyway (just speculating).

[​IMG]

I love the sound of a four 10's Super Reverb but I just wanted to share that two Celestions in a Fender four 10s, 2 ohm OT amp design sounds great to me. The impedance mismatch, 4ohms speakers/2ohms OT, sonically has no downside at all to my ears. And I fear more for damage to my ears than to the OT!

I've played a Super Reverb with an impedance mismatch as severe as 16 ohms speakers/2ohm OT (or was it 32 ohms :eek:), nothing broke but it sounded thin and anemic, underpowered if you will. Speakers rewired to the proper 2 ohms impedance made everything Tommy Castro Right As Rain.

So, with a speaker(s)/OT impedance mismatch, there's some slack but your ears will tell you when the mismatch is really out of whack. I would follow the old Fender rule of no greater than 100% impedance mismatch either way, except that I wouldn't want to go under 2 ohms, just a feeling I have that a 1 or <1 ohm load is not good.

8. candybluecrook

candybluecrook Tele-Afflicted

I'll keep that in mind. Thank for all the info guys.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.