1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mods for AC10C1

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by teleplayer99, Mar 6, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

My brother installed a set of JJs I had. Does it sound better...it sounded good pre and post. I would like it to have more bass. It has the stock speaker. So anyone have any luck adding bass.

2. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Harder to mod a PCB amp. Speaker change , et10?, would make a significant difference. You could try something other than JJ for the preamp tube. JJs are well loved as power tubes but less so in the preamp stages.

hotcoffeenochill likes this.
  3. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

I've installed EL84-STR TAD PREMIUM power tubes, then replaced both preamp and phase invertor tubes with some tubes I had around (I think TungSol or Sovtek). This helped a lot with bringing more "depth" to the sound. Also I've replaced the speaker with Celestion V-Junior. I dig this speaker, has bit tighter bottom, not as flubby as the original and also tames those harsh heights yet keeps the amp's sparkle. I very recommend it. (I've also tried a Creamback and Greenback, still the V-Junior is the best I'd say..)

teleplayer99 likes this.
  4. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

The ac10 probably has the most bass you’re going to get from a vox amp because of its closed back cab. I had one and actually thought it was a bit too bass heavy. Pcb makes mods really difficult, so I’d start with a speaker change- unfortunately, I don’t know enough about what’s available in 10” to recommend one :(

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

While most speakers will fit, be careful and know the depth of one you look into. The tube PCB assembly is only about a half inch from the back of the stock speaker.

E5RSY likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

On my AC15 I removed the bright caps which greatly improved the overall sound. If the AC10 also has bright caps I'd recommend removing them.

7. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Personally I'd say don't bother.

If you want an amp with a specific tone, source it. Spending time and money trying to create what Vox didn't, is a waste in my opinion.

I speak has someone who spent years trying to re-invent the wheel with all kinds of products. The AC10C1 is great as it is, just needs good tubes to give it's best.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

JJs have better bass, the ones in the preamp anyway. Never used JJs in the power stage, so I can't comment on that..

Try connecting an external cab, closed back, 2x12" or 1x15". A ported 1x12" would be quite good as well. Even a closed back 1x12" might give you more bass.

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

An EQ pedal with the bass lifted will go a long way. Modding the PCB will probably end in tears, or at least lifted tracks. The bassiest 10" speaker I know of is the Jensen MOD 10-70. It picks up at higher power levels, but sub 5W, it has perhaps too much of a bass bias. I have one in my Cub 10, and at low volume, it's too dark, but wind the amp up to loud and it is perfectly balanced.
    At polite, home-friendly levels, don't discount Fletcher-Munson effects either. Again, an EQ pedal can help. Adding bass to a home amp can be a pain if you ever get to play with others. Too much bass that you can't dial out will make you sound indistinct. It is what it is.

I've attached the schematic for you to have a look at. There's not much you can do without fundamentally altering the amp.

Attached Files:

radiocaster and teleplayer99 like this.
  10. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Thanks...I think I will try the V-Junior.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Is C68 a treble bypass cap?

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I used to have a cab full of problematic speakers, they just weren't getting the lows I wanted. The trick was to use an eq with an 80Hz slider. It gets more of those lower notes like E,F,G. Eqs with 100Hz won't do, that's just the low A.

I used a bass eq, several of them have 80Hz. The Hotone eq has it as well.

I still have the bass eq and at one time I bought an MXR 10-band. Totally wouldn't help, I sold it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.