1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modifying Strat Neck Pocket for Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by wierzbowski, Aug 9, 2019.

1. wierzbowski

wierzbowski Tele-Meister

Is it as easy as using a forstner bit to drill out the 'mickey mouse ears' on the corners?
    [​IMG]

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup. If you have one of those overhanging 22 fret necks, it hides poor workmanship.

It's POSSIBLE that the rout is not necessary - IF your bridge has an extra 1/8th inch throw left, to compensate your intonation...

3. wierzbowski

wierzbowski Tele-Meister

Thanks for the response, I'm looking at modifying a Warmoth body, but its unpainted. Hopefully the pickguard and paint will make it look cleaner

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Usually you can just bolt a tele neck to a strat but not the other way around.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yeah, if the pic you posted in the OP was the strat pocket you're talking about, proceed with great caution. My guess is there is no wood that needs removing and you might be wishing you had a little more wood there (aren't we all??:lol:)
    Think about it. The radius of the strat neck's heel makes it a bit longer than the tele, needing a slightly deeper pocket. The 1/4" radii at the corners of both the strat's and the tele's neck pockets should be in the same relationship to the bridge. That is why you can bolt a tele neck in a PROPERLY FIT AND ROUTED strat pocket and it still intonates normally, but not the other way around.
    Now look back at the photo in your OP. Note how different is the way the heel of a strat neck fits into that pocket than would one that was routed right, like this:
    IMG_1578.JPG
    I think that shows why you don't want to take any wood off that body.
    Then again I could be completely full of beans, so maybe somebody else can comment.
    Just be careful and think it all through before you cut.

Cheers,
    Rex

6. wierzbowski

wierzbowski Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, but there is some inaccurate information being shared. Tele neck pockets can accommodate both types of necks, but Strat pockets can only fit Strat necks. I want to modify a Strat neck pocket. Here are some pictures and info from the Warmoth site
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Well, I can't argue with Warmoth, so I stand corrected. I would never want to put out bad info. I'm going to have to take some measurements to confirm Warmoth's position.
    That said, I stand by my advice that I think you do not need to remove ANY wood from that neck pocket you posted the pic of.

Cheers,
    Rex

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I mounted a tele neck on my warmoth strat body. I did take some wood out of the corners of the pocket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.