Modifying Bridge Plate

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Balata9999, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Balata9999

Balata9999 TDPRI Member

Wanted to see pics or get advice on making a slot or hole for the b string on a new bridge plate. Ordered a new glendale bridge for my american standard b bender raw finish so no worries with plating and he said he won't modify them or slot them for a b string. Got the one with three holes for the three saddle screws. My thought was a vertical cut in line with the b string with something like a hacksaw and then file the edges round/ smooth with a small file. I would like to see examples though if anyone has done this. I don't think there would be enough room for a large hole like in the fender bridge because of the saddle screw hole right next to it.

2. smokedoctor

smokedoctor TDPRI Member

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1442688871.648708.jpg

I used a Dremel for mine

3. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I prefer the hole. More downforce on the saddle.

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Need the hole. Slot is pretty worthless on every one I've played, not enough downforce.
    I like to still be able to do manual bends if the feeling strikes me.

5. Balata9999

Balata9999 TDPRI Member

I guess Im not understanding correctly whats up with a hole vs slot. On my fender nashville b bender it has a hole for the string but the string floats in the hole and doesn't touch the bridge. So explain what you mean please.

And I am using rutters saddles that are slotted for intonation that should help with side to side movement.

6. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Slot it with a dremel tool cut-off wheel works great.

I've built many Parsons White style B Benders and every one has had a slotted rear lip on the bridge. I've never had a problem.

I realize a lot of people that use a Hipshot opt for a hole with some sort of tubing but this messes with the geometry of a Parsons White or Parsons Greens bender. Plus it affects the smoothness of the bend.

I agree that the string Angie can be an issue but what I always do on a Bender Tele is to shim the neck. This amounts to installing 1/2 a business card in the neck pocket. It's just enough to tilt back the neck angle just right so that allows you to jack up your saddles and you'll never have an issue w downforce on the saddle

Plus I always use some variant of slotted steel saddle for the B-E string pair. The slot eliminates any possibility of lateral movement and steel (or titanium etc) eliminate and sawing of the string into the saddle which commonly occurs with brass. I never use brass on a bender telecaster

Weeman333 likes this.
  7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Depending on neck angle you may not need to do anything! Sometimes a simple shim will get you enough clearance. If so, I'd go that route.

Otherwise I have both - some slotted and some holes with Teflon tubing - but I only go the tubing route if the neck angle is so flat I need the extra break angle.

8. helle_man

helle_man Tele-Meister

The great Silverface is right. I have some one way, some the other.

And sometimes the neck angle is perfect and you don't need anything.

WR

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I wasn't completely clear - sort of a quick post.

The hole vs slot has NOTHING to do with downforce - neck angle does, as Will implied. That's where the shim comes into play - depending on the guitar.

Some say you must have a super-tight neck joint for good tone; I absolutely disagree, having worked on countless 50's and early 60's Teles that sound absolutely amazing and have everything from cut-up credit cards to playing card pieces to pieces of metal to hunks torn off matchbook covers as shims!

There *are* cases where shims would have to be pretty extreme, usually indicating either the neck or body is pretty far off-spec. But on most "normal" Teles you can adjust the angle to get the needed downforce, and then determine whether a slot or hole allows the string to pass through with the least friction.

But if you *have* to use a hole with tubing to press down on the string there's a problem with the guitar's setup to begin with.

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Good post Jim... On my main Tele I have a slot which I did with a hacksaw back in the early eighties when I got my first HipShot.... It's had a P/W in it for over ten years now with the same slot. I shimmed the neck back when I installed the first HipShot with a couple of those small Fender medium jazz type guitar picks and they're still in there over thirty years later... My other Tele with the B/W bender also has a slot..... For HipShot users I recommend using a slot as opposed to a hole because the HipShot bender when activated moves the string down toward the body so unless the hole is very large you'd make it rub against the bottom side of the hole unless the hole was very large creating more friction. All other benders move the string in the same direction angle over the bridge piece. The HipShot actually gives the string more angle over the bridge due to it's downward movement and pressure.......JH in Va.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.