Modified Fuzz Face Pedal Building

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Frank Lee, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee TDPRI Member

Hello all.
    I've been circuit bending for a few years at this point and now want to try and step up my relationship with pedals and start making my own circuit starting with a simple fuzz that I'd like to modify. I have three criteria/ideas/questions:
    1) I want to make a unique fuzz pedal. My idea is to modify a trad. Fuzz Face and to add multiple feedback sections in the circuit. (the schematic I got this idea from you can find by googling "Fuzz Face Schematic" which highlighted the "input section", "output section" ands importantly the "feedback network" present in a Fuzz Face)
    How do I do this?
    2)Other than that, what do you recommend to start with pedal building-wise (not to resell purely to use myself and to give to friends). I've had experience with circuit bending and Electronics this is more about prototyping circuits and using strip boards.
    3)if my theory in *1) was wrong what other mods/circuit changes could I perform that would make something new(ish) or not common?

Hope you can make sense of my potentially useless/unoriginal/faulted or utterly impossible idea.

MANY thanks in advance
    Frank

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

It helps if you have an idea of what you want to achieve. Not sure what multiple feedback sections would add to the fuzz face circuit or if it can even be done, although replacing the 100K feedback resistor with a pot can get you some interesting sounds. You should look at the schematic for the ZVex Fuzz Factory, which is basically a modified Fuzz Face circuit, as are some of the other ZVex fuzzes.

jddub440 likes this.
  3. Frank Lee

Frank Lee TDPRI Member

Yeah, I was considering buying the fuzz factory, but I'll check out the schematic see what I can do with it.
    Thanks for the quick response.

4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

No expert but, if I understand your goal correctly, I believe if you do that to a Fuzz Face starts you get something like a Tonebender.

do it to the tone ender again and you get a big muff.

if you’re getting started check out geo-fx, Run Off Grove and Ecsobedo’s Circuit Snippets. Best sources for DIY’ers on the web.

Also, if strip board is your jam, google tag board effects. You’ll get more stripboard layouts on there than you could possibly imagine.

Also, stark truth is, you might make a couple bucks here and there but it’s near impossible to turn pedal making into a paying gig these days.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Simple passive diode distortion, which works. You can try different diodes or put series diodes on one side against a single diode on the second for asymmetrical effects.

This is the video that has kept my interest in building a pedal at some point.

I bought a second DS-1 so I'd have one to mod and a baseline, but I stacked them and figured out how great they were stacked. So I never modded either. Later on I discovered this video which does a great job of describing it. I did mod an MT-2 pedal with the Waza clipped capacitor though.

Amazon: for pedal switches ten at a time, a dozen jacks at a time.
    Hardware store: home electrical boxes (some have matching covers) for inexpensive housings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.