1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modified Blender Circuit

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DeadEsquire, Mar 6, 2021.

1. DeadEsquire

DeadEsquire TDPRI Member

Hi all, first off thanks to everyone for your posts over the years - so much valuable wisdom and experience here that I’ve always gotten a lot out of, though never posted before.

I’m putting together a tele and considering a different wiring / switching setup inspired by the broadcaster blender, but essentially in reverse. As many have said / found, the “dark” setting is not much use to me, so much so that a couple of my builds are esquire is here, with no neck pickup at all. Even then I barely use the tone control, other than occasionally backing it off a hair.

What I’m considering is a two volume setup with a three way switch so that in the back position you have bridge only, in the forward position you have a traditional “middle” setting (bridge and neck together) and in the middle you have the neck pickup on a blender, using the second pot to essentially back off the neck pickup volume. So what you get is the middle and back positions of. Normal tele and everything between.

has anyone seen a wiring diagram for that, or have suggestions or guidance? One of the options I’m considering is whether the blender position routes the neck through the pot and directly to the output (parallel, so that if you wanted to you could get any blended combination of the two pickups) or routing the blended neck back into the other “master” volume. Also thinking of putting the neck volume where the tone would be and using a reverse pot so it actually behaves a little more like tone would (I.e. turning it “up” from the player’s point of view actually decreases the neck volume, which brightens the tone).

I feel like this would be super useful and given all the comments I read about how the broadcaster blender is useless, I would think this would be more common but I can’t find any info. Your collective wisdom and guidance is appreciated. Go easy on me if there’s some reason why this is totally flawed and idiotic.... :)

Thanks in advance!
    John

hepular likes this.
  2. WorkbenchJohnny

WorkbenchJohnny TDPRI Member

Didn’t Phostenix have one like this? maybe I’m wrong. He definitely had some variations with one master volume and middle position used a bit to blend neck to bridge. Hmm....

3. WorkbenchJohnny

Yeah, sorry. I chips only find where he’s uploaded variations of a middle blend position

4. WorkbenchJohnny

5. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If you are ditching the tone control why wouldn't you wire it up like a regular tele but put individual volumes before the switch? that gives you the bridge only, neck only and the ability to adjust either volume in the middle position.

DeadEsquire likes this.
  6. WorkbenchJohnny

I can’t speak for the OP, but the idea has merit. A player would be able to bounce between preset blended tones without needing to fiddle with separate pots to blend to taste.

Independent volumes also have merit. I imagine anyone accustomed to LP switching would find your idea intuitive to use. I mean, there’s tons of LP, SG, Tele Deluxe players out there so why not?

DeadEsquire likes this.
  7. WorkbenchJohnny

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's an interesting Idea but it eliminates the neck only option. Depending on the neck volume, I guess it does give you a primarily bridge pickup based tone in all positions.

9. WorkbenchJohnny

Yeah, I actually went for... (three years?) exclusively using my bridge pup. I’m not anti-neck or any such thing. But you could hand me an Esquire and I’d be content (except maybe in a neon-lit barroom :lol:). However, 20 years ago? I’d demand a neck pup.

Same can be said for a neck only set up. In the past it would’ve put me off but nowadays I’d be intrigued to try and muster as much dynamics and tonal variations as I could out of it.

10. DeadEsquire

DeadEsquire TDPRI Member

That's a good thought, thanks for the suggestion!
    The reason(s) I had been proposing my version are that I never use the neck pup by itself, and this way gives me the bridge only and bridge neck "presets" at the opposite ends of the switch, with the blender in the middle position. Just seems like a more useful / usable (particularly in a live setting) setup to me. That said, I'm building it so I'm going to mess around with different stuff and see what works.

WorkbenchJohnny likes this.
  11. DeadEsquire

DeadEsquire TDPRI Member

Totally -- I have a couple Esquire style builds (which I LOVE), and a couple standard builds (so I have that option if I want it), this is just a fun project and seems to give me the most of what I actually find myself wanting and needing day to day.

12. DeadEsquire

DeadEsquire TDPRI Member

13. WorkbenchJohnny

Yeah buddy, I was bummed when Phostenix decided to stop supporting his website and left tdpri. It was even more of a bummer when the image hosting site started having broken links. It was only pretty recent that he gave permission for GN2 to host his original schematics.

There’s a couple other cats on tdpri that I also hold in high esteem for wiring knowledge but I forget their names. There’s this German guy that’s got fun tele diagrams too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.