Modern wiring harness for AVRI 52 Tele

john_t

Tele-Meister
I was lucky enough to find an early 2000's butterscotch AVRI 52 a few years back. I also have a Squier CV butterscotch Tele that I got used with Texas Special pickups. The AVRI fit and finish is clearly superior, it feels solid, slightly thicker neck, has more resonance unplugged. However, I love the Squier CV, both the way it plays and it sounds plugged in. The AVRI came with hot SD pickups which I changed eventually to an Original Vintage set, even put in a Texas Special set for a while to get the same sound. I just can't get the crisp, bell-like tone of the CV from the AVRI. I finally decided it must be the wiring as I see that the vintage wiring is bassier/muffled compared to the modern. I am assuming that the CV wiring is modern (?) Anyone else run into this?

Long story short, I am looking for a quality modern wiring harness that I can drop into the AVRI. Any recommendations appreciated.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
If I’m not mistaken, you shouldn’t need a harness. You should be able to rewrite it using the parts already in it.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Don't swap it out yet. Get your soldering iron and multimeter.Try a treble bleed,or Google modern/ vintage wiring diagram first. Also capacitor and pot value make a big difference.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
It's one cap and a couple solders away from being modern. No need for a new harness. It would have 250k pots which are ideal for single coils.
I actually prefer Gibson 50s style wiring because it's much more neutral sounding using the tone control and doesn't need a treble bleed.

origin.jpg

john_t

Tele-Meister
Thanks for this - sounds less involved than I thought. I'll get the right components for the mod. I have decent soldering skills and should be able to manage.

Porchpicker

TDPRI Member
I just finished rewiring my own avri 52.....if you have any questions or difficulties let me know. I also wired mine for the tone control to effect only the bridge pickup. This mod will brighten the neck pickup a tad by removing the tone circuit load from it and will allow you to set your amp for the neck pickup brightness level that you prefer and roll off the ice pick in the bridge. It works great for me.

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve bought a couple Callaham harnesses, very nice work. I also did a bunch myself to experiment here and there when I was gigging full time. 50’s wiring/fezz parka, etc., can’t remember all the names of the mods, tried out different caps and pots, etc.