1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern Tuner/Receivers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Dec 1, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

There is a place here in Manheim , Pa. called The Turntable . Max and his associate repair these items . His service guy used to do repairs at the old Glick Audio . Yes , they do work on integrated circuit panels .

Boreas likes this.
  2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Yes, sounds like a clean solution.

3. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Stereo geeks would sneer, but I’ve been using yamaha receivers for the last 20 years and still have the first one I bought, htr5440. Got two others, latest RXV477, still way below top of the line and a few years old. All are being used and still working perfectly. Maybe a bit under powered for some. Often going for low prices on AMAZ when the next model change arises. Oh yeah, mine are hooked up to Polk mains and a Polk center.

slauson slim and Ron C like this.
  4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I wanted to chime in and say I have that sony amp. I purchased it about 18mo. ago and couldn't be any more happy with it. I mainly use it for TV and movies. Modern, with bluetooth and yet very simple in operation. I got no need for more than two audio channels, and it does it well.

5. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've had great luck with Onkyo. Denon also seems to be highly regarded in the receiver department. Just make sure you know what you want for features and what you don't want before you go shopping, and read up on the reviews.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I checked them out, after that video the price went up, but still reasonable. I hate scrolling through functions though....

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

These appear to be out of stock right now but assuming they get them back in anytime soon they would work to restuff the cans at a reasonable price:

https://tedweber.com/ec206-600/

schmee likes this.
  8. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Try "Just Radios" They stock lots of high voltage e-caps.

Good Luck, RM

schmee likes this.
  9. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I heard it may be the toroidal transformers but don't know. Oh and in my case 185 watts per channel into Klipsch Cornwalls. :cool:

10. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I had success going this route in 2018.

That year we auditioned a bunch of new (from $150 to $2500) and vintage receivers and ended up with two higher end Kenwood models from the mid-70s. One was $100 from a local audio repair shop that checked it thoroughly but only did light tune-up and parts replacement. The sound quality was glorious, functionality was good, but the smell wasn't. Eventually that aired out though.

The second was a completely rebuilt Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp that sounds, functions, and looks fantastic inside and out and only cost me $380. The work was done by a guy who sells on eBay, seller name "shoda2019". Just incredible attention to detail. I just checked eBay and he doesn't have one for sale now, but you may want to reach out to him to see if he either has one in the works or if he'd be willing to do a rebuild on an item you find.

No affiliation with the seller. I just can't forget him because his work ranks up there with a setup on my Martin M-36 (by Ed Clark) as one of the most impressive examples of workmanship I've experienced.

11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.