1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern Tuner/Receivers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Dec 1, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I've sold all my old humongous stereo stuff (Marantz, Kenwood, JBL) over the last few years. I have a couple quality Polk bookshelf + size speakers. I may want to buy a Tuner amp. Something quality, not complicated but not huge bucks.
    I have no idea what's out there now, but I dont really want to buy into vintage stuff again. It seems to have issues often. I dont listen enough to want to deal with problems.
    But some stuff just sounds very good and some doesn't. What's out there? What are the good names now?

It seems there are many of the old names out there, but they are usually just names purchased by Chinese companies and nothing like the originals....

Festofish likes this.
  2. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

Depends quite a lot on your budget. Stereo equipment is a bit of niche these days. It helps to have a real local dealer that can give you advice and listen to the equipment first. For mail order, I have found Crutchfield to have knowledgable reps who will happily talk to you for an hour. Here's their list https://www.crutchfield.com/g_356350/Stereo-Receivers.html

schmee likes this.
  3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've had a Denon for about ten years now and it's been really good to us. Looked at replacing it recently (it doesn't do 4K), and the same stuff led me back to them. They split a lot of hairs to get to prices for any budget, I think they still do the 'Audyssey' set up thing too which is really nice for non-pros.

I'm sure everyone's got stuff they like (my friend's a diehard Onkyo fan), but this unit's been good to me.

schmee and Boreas like this.
  4. RLM69

RLM69 TDPRI Member

Hey Schmee, how are you doing? Just start looking in pawn shops and thrift stores. You can find some good deals on tuner/amps. I purchased a Sony STR-V7 receiver at EZ Pawn for $20 a few years back. Yes I know it is from 1979, but other than a few scratchy pots and burned out bulbs, it sounds fantastic. Look for Sony and Pioneer stuff from the 60's and 70's. It is still good quality equipment with little or no issues. Google "oaktreevintage.com as they sell a lot of refurbished equipment. I listen all of my vinyl collection on a daily basis using Pioneer PL10, Technics SL3 and SL5 turntables that I bought in the early 70's. My speakers a Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers that are about 10 years old. Right now listening to Steve Miller Number 5. Great album by the way. Good Luck!

Rowdyman, Boreas and schmee like this.
  5. schmee

Thanks man. I'm trying to avoid real vintage stuff, they seem to have scratchy pots and other issues a lot. Why I sold my old stuff! But some good ideas there, thanks! I'll check things out.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have been using a Denon for my A/V system and it works OK. My Sony prior to that was OK as well. I just hate the complexity of modern systems - menus and such. I prefer a good knob or toggle switch. But I don't listen to music on my A/V system. I have 3 Harman/Kardon 690i units and a pair of Bose 501s scattered around the house and in my bar for audio. I am old-school. But you are right - I don't think any of those radio sections work quite right - but I don't listen to radio. Touchpad technology was pretty crummy in the 80s. But the amps are clean and strong. Plus, when they are on they help heat the house!

scrapyardblue likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Scratchy pots and intermittent switches are usually easily fixed with some DeOxit. Just keep one hand in your pocket when the cover comes off or you may become an electronic device!

8. schmee

Yeah, I hate the modern "scroll screen" thing too. maybe I'll find a small, but rebuilt older unit. There are some guys that go through and bring them up to snuff. When you think about it, many of those units have 50 year old filter caps in them! I opened up my old Marantz a couple years back and "whoa!" you cant get at anything in those things, you cant even spray the pots without taking it apart!

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Got a nice Denon compact unit with DAB radio and Bluetooth streaming.. very versatile. Sounds great.

Anniversary present for my wife.... I gave away my Cyrus separates years ago.

10. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

New stuff that seems well regarded:

SONY STR-DH 190 or ONKYO TX 8220. $200 or so, modern features.

Equipment reviews on cnet and by Wirecutter are good, as are Crutchfield's how-to and info videos.

Moving up the receiver food chain and the devices start to get crazy complicated with, to me, useless whizz-bang features.

Another route if you don't want/need radio is an integrated amplifier.

Vintage Marantz receivers are getting crazy expensive.

We bought a Denon A/V receiver for our living room television set up a few months ago and it works well. My workshop/practice system is a Marantz 2275 into jbl L-36 and L-77 speakers - a '70s set up. Back up is a ten year old ONKYO 50 watt stereo receiver that is simple and bullet-proof. Good luck.

11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

NAD. Crutchfield sells their products.

GeneB and joealso like this.
  12. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Check what the score is with FM radio where you are.

This side of the pond, the government wanted FM closed down from 2015. It didn't happen, but many FM licences expire in 2022. Will they be renewed? Who knows.

The government want digital radio instead, so DAB is the preferred option.

Make sure you buy something that is hopefully future proof.

Vocalion likes this.
  13. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Ron C and Matt Sarad like this.
  14. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Based on your description, your needs would be best fulfilled by seeking out a true stereo receiver and not a multi-channel receiver with home theater menus, options (some of which may need a TV to configure), and power sections you will not be using. All else being equal, your best sound is going to come from only two amplifier channels coming off of the output transformer. The wildcard is that you want a tuner, and there are not too many quality two-channel receivers in production. Consider how much the inclusion of a an integrated tuner will factor into your usage. If you're willing to go with an integrated amp (and I'm not suggesting that you need to), you will find a much larger selection that will offer better sound.

Boreas and Dan R like this.
  15. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

loco gringo likes this.
  16. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've had the one in the link I posted for a couple of years, now. It has a good DAC in it. I run a set of bookshelf speakers and a small sub with it. I run my music streaming device through it. I also run the tv through it, no surround sound. I think you might have to get into much higher priced gear

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This cropped up in my recommended viewing on Youtube. Quite why, I don't know. The model is mentioned a few posts above.

Seems quite good value.

howardlo, schmee and tubelectron like this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Well... I stick to my old-fashioned audio-analogic receivers... :oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm not modern at all on that field, @schmee... :(

-tbln.

Tonetele, drmordo, Mechanic and 2 others like this.
  19. schmee

Such great stuff! I sold my Marantz 4240 quad a couple years ago.

20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Aw ! @schmee : You shouldn't... :eek::(

But it's me, OK ? ;)

-tbln.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.