1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern Tele Bridge (six indepenant saddles) vs Tradition Tele Bridge(3 bar saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by chemobrain, Apr 1, 2017.

1. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Any one else out there agree with these statements highlighted in bold?

I say they are not true.
    I've never heard of modern Teles having a slightly longer scale or vintage having higher string tension.
    (Even if he was right, then the tension would be lower anyway, not higher)

Or that three saddle bridges can't be height adjusted to match the neck radius. (angle has nothing to do with it)

[I know that some few specially made Teles have a 24. something inch scale but that's a totally different thing]

Middleman thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been playing Teles for 45 years.

Sure, the distance measured between the nut and bridge can vary slightly. But that is due to differences in string type, gauge, brand, action...
    Measure between the nut and any given fret and you will find the distance is identical on all Tele and Strat necks. They are all built to 25 1/2" scale.

S Mac

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    dobrojoe and Welker like this.
  2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

It really doesn't make any difference. ANY of them can be intonated. On the three saddle version you just bend the screws as needed to get it right if you want perfection. All of mine have six saddles, but I've built plenty for others with three saddles. At some point if you make drastic changes in strings etc you just use new saddle screws and again get close and then use pliers! FWIW wen the design came out everyone used a wound G and it would intonate just as well as an acoustic or anything else around at the time.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Intonation isn't in question above.
    The disagreement is about scale length, string tension due to scale length and height adjustment.

4. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Telebridge.JPG Guitars 001.jpg

I have had both bridges and I think it comes down to the material of the saddle and the number of moving parts. Fewer screws, and springs can only be a good thing. I have a steel compensated "vintage" 3 barrel style now, and also have a brass set. I swap them out on occasion. I've also replaced tun-o-matics on guitars with compensated bar bridges. Again, the fewer parts, the better. I get an increase in sustain, and a clearer, more articulated sound. Intonation-nearly spot on.

5. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I'll jump in on the scale length debate… 25.5" is strat and tele land… shorter scale makes for easier bending… longer length (which I doubt modern bridges have) makes for harder bending… That's why some folks prefer shorter scale guitars (LP's, Jags, Mustangs, etc).
    'Just a hair' in either direction isn't going to be noticeable IMO.

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Guys, think mandolin vs guitar on the scale thing. You will want to do string bends on the guitar. Much harder on the mandolin. The same thing applies to my vintage 74 tele vs my 2012 tele which is a little longer distance from nut to bridge and easier to play. I'm not making this up.

7. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Except mandolin is not tuned like a guitar. Take the doubled strings off and tune it to the same pitches as the highest four strings on a guitar and see which one is easier to do string bends on. Shorter scale = easier to play.

Reggie77 likes this.
  8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have two guitars, one with shorter scale one is longer, both tuned to the same pitch the shorter scale has more string tension. Explain that.

And if you tell me it's not possible, I think the discussion has ended.

I've been playing for 47 years by the way.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

cant see what all the fuss is about I have teles with old and new bridges both play great also ive never had any problem with getting intonation on a 3 saddle bridge you just need to no how. for what its worth I like the 3 saddle as I find it easy to rest my palm on when picking strings.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Both my Teles have modern 6-saddle bridges. They may not look as cool as the traditional 3-saddle, but they work perfectly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Like I said, "opinion driven and will never be solved".:D

It's all good.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

But the audience thinks you're rich, because you can afford 6 saddles while others only have three.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Better believe it. I'm a six-saddle kinda guy. Some people drive BMWs, I gots me two Teles with six saddles APIECE!. Got a gold tooth to go with my saddle bling too.

Ira7 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

For what it's worth, I once replaced the 6 standard Squier Affinity telecaster saddles with the 3 brass type, and the difference in tone was quite obvious. I had no issue with intonation. I'd consider it an improvement.

15. reddesert

reddesert Tele-Meister

Do you have the same strings on each?

Take a guitar with a 25.5" scale, tune it down a half step, and put a capo on the first fret. Now the "open" strings are at concert pitch with a 24.25" scale. But the string tension is lower, because it was lowered when tuned down. This holds true on all guitars and basses.

I can't speak to the difference between saddle types, but it shouldn't affect scale length - that's set by the position of the frets and adjusting the saddles for intonation.

Galibier_Un likes this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I think people have to set aside the concept that tuning both scale lengths to the same pitch matters re string tension.It has nothing to do with the equation.

It's a physics thing, and of course shorter strings are going to have higher tension, harder to bend, etc. It's like trying to karate chop a 1-foot long piece of timber as opposed to a 6' piece. The 6' piece is gonna have less tension because it's dispersed amongst 6'. The 1' piece is gonna be hard as a rock.

17. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Shorter strings tuned to the same pitch will have lower tension because the strings have to be loosened to reach the same pitch.

S Mac

18. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Sure, the distance measured between the nut and bridge can vary slightly. But that is due to differences in string type, gauge, brand, action...
    Measure between the nut and any given fret and you will find the distance is identical on all Tele and Strat necks. They are all built to 25 1/2" scale.

Differences in tension can be caused by different conditions such as saddle height (distance off the body) and break angle or the stiffness or rigidness of the neck.

A Mac

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I have a "thing" about people playing out of tune - I wont even listen to a utube where somebody is out of tune. I dont have a problem with the intonation of the Graphtech tele saddles:
    [​IMG]
    They dont look vintage - in fact they look a little weird, but for me they are the best compromise. They dont have the ultimate twang of some brass saddles (the expensive ones), or as much sustain as steel, or whatever titanium is supposed to bring (just sounded washed out to me) - but they have great twang and magically make strings sound new almost indefinitely (swamp ash body with a fat rosewood neck).

A feller called the Woodman said this about the Graphtechs way back in 2008:
    "it really depends on the guitar and the sound you're looking for ... i tried the black ones on a Tele that didn't have much acoustic output to try and get a more even string response (the guitar was a little mid-heavy with brass). the Graphtechs worked well in that regard, intonated spot-on, added a little sustain and, surprisingly, had plenty of twang."

I agrees tote-lee.

Mike

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.