Modern stabs at the lounge-y 'jazz standard' sound

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Dig into some PMJ...

I forget about these folks' takes on new songs which I guess is almost the opposite? A friend is an enormous fan, they can all play for sure. That's a pretty great one... some modern tunes just don't stand up to the treatment and it goes beyond camp for me.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire

With her husband.
A big fave of mine!

Yeah, he's a helluva player. That one above is with him also, as is everything on that collection as I understand it. Absolute clinic on guitar. I believe I read that he could've made her career really tough after they split up, but apparently remained a big evangelist and opened many doors for her. Solid cat besides being a really great guitarist.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Not sure what you're after here- that repertoire is very much alive

Last edited:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Oh I'm aware it's alive, sorry if I was unclear. Thanks for sharing. I have Lavay's first record. She's phenomenal.
You should look into Mlle. Salvant- a phenomenal voice, who's found ways to be original well within the bounds of tradition. Her first album, "Woman Child", 2013 was a revelation. Here's one from my current favorite singer, who somehow got pigeonholed as a rockabilly singer;

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
You should look into Mlle. Salvant- a phenomenal voice, who's found ways to be original well within the bounds of tradition. Her first album, "Woman Child", 2013 was a revelation. Here's one from my current favorite singer, who somehow got pigeonholed as a rockabilly singer;

Thank you for the great recs above also, but yeah... this is really tremendous. Good lookin' out

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Stephanie Adlington ("The Songbird of the South"- not to be confused with the gospel group "Songbirds of the South") is a West Virginia singer who I hope will someday become popular enough to release a record at a decent price;

fleezinator

Tele-Meister
A few that might be a little out of the genre but great nonetheless:

My first thought was a band out of Austin called 8 1/2 Souvenirs from the late 90s so not sure if that qualifys as 'modern'. A little lounge, a little gypsy jazz

Then there's Lady Blackbird:

Reactions: Geo

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think this one fits your profile to a T. I really dig this number. It’s about Avalon, NJ, and it has some sentimental value to me. My wife’s parents had an old beach house on 76th street close to Stone Harbor.

I spent many fine days there. One can tell it’s about Avalon, NJ, because at the end of the song she sings “Cooler By A Mile”, which is Avalon’s motto.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
91MjR6LxEcL._SX522_.jpg