Modern problems: Food delivery drone lands on power lines.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That reminds me of hearing my dad being lambasted by his brothers back in the late 70s.

He worked his way up through the ranks of the post office from being a telegram boy in the 1950s. At the time the UK Post Office was splitting the telecoms division off getting it ready to be privatised.

My dad and his brothers were sitting playing cards and drinking whisky, and my he was telling them that in the future we'd be able to order our groceries via a keyboard (typewriter he called it), a television screen and the signal would go down the phone lines "in the same way the Yanks watch their TV".

I clearly remember the incredulous guffaws from my uncles and the whisky fuelled expletives.

My auld fella was right as time has proven; however, he has trouble using a TV remote.
Remote part reminds me of a sign over the department coffee pot:

"Forgive me if I am elderly, bitter, and weak,
For one day, you will be all three."

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There was an incident some months ago in which a guy blew a drone to bits when it crossed over his property line. What ensued was a study of personal air space, and whether individuals have a right to defend it. I do not know what has come out of that and am too lazy today to Google it. But this will have to be considered. If I saw a drone hovering outside my window, my trusty Remington 870 would deal with it promptly.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member

yep
the eventuality has arrived, folks. it is in fact here.
they keep it cute by showing you the bots doing fortnight dances to your old r&b favorites
what they don't show you is them doing a victory backflip, after terminating with extreme prejudice

happy friday, all : )

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
That reminds me of hearing my dad being lambasted by his brothers back in the late 70s.

He worked his way up through the ranks of the post office from being a telegram boy in the 1950s. At the time the UK Post Office was splitting the telecoms division off getting it ready to be privatised.

My dad and his brothers were sitting playing cards and drinking whisky, and my he was telling them that in the future we'd be able to order our groceries via a keyboard (typewriter he called it), a television screen and the signal would go down the phone lines "in the same way the Yanks watch their TV".

I clearly remember the incredulous guffaws from my uncles and the whisky fuelled expletives.

My auld fella was right as time has proven; however, he has trouble using a TV remote.
My dad died young but in WWII he was an enlisted but in a then secret radio group. He continued to serve as reserves after he got a law degree. He would buy surplus radio stuff and always tell us we have no idea what we'd see in the future. He would be on the side of the elders who were not so reactionary.

An there was an interesting separation on how those guys were with technology just as some are now becoming rigid in their ways.

I wish I knew more details of his and other relatives' service. A bunch of us were raised by guys who did incredible stuff and then flipped a switch to look and act and have stuff like the Mad Men series.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
If we yanks had listened to smart people and remained focused on city centers while eschewing the suburbs 60-70 years ago, this might not have been a thing at all.

As it stands, drone delivery makes a sort of perverse sense when most "neighborhoods" look like this (Dobson Ranch, Mesa AZ).

"Look what I'm whippin' now"

1664548081128.png

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If we yanks had listened to smart people and remained focused on city centers while eschewing the suburbs 60-70 years ago, this might not have been a thing at all.

As it stands, drone delivery makes a sort of perverse sense when most "neighborhoods" look like this (Dobson Ranch, Mesa AZ).

"Look what I'm whippin' now"

View attachment 1034939
I am reminded of psych research showing what happens as you exceed a critical number of rodents in a living space. "Behavioral Sink" is what it was called in Norwegian studies.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I had a friend who lives in the mountains, that decided to learn to fly. Conventional aviation was too expensive, so he hit upon the idea of purchasing an ultralight aircraft which he learned to fly. He flew it for a while and could be seen by locals in the mountains flying around showing everyone his aircraft.

After a while, he managed to get a two-seater, and wanted me to ride with him, I told him not a chance in the world. He talked another friend into riding with him, and they flew from Minter Field down to take a look at Hart Park from the air here in Bakersfield.

Now here is where it gets interesting. After they looked at the park, they decided since it was nearby, to look at Kern River Golf Course. The wind had come up, and when they got near the course, somehow, they managed to get themselves entangled in one of those large shipping lines, with towers that supply power to a whole community nearby.

Power was shut down, thankfully they weren't electrocuted, the fire department and other emergency people were called to the scene, and they were eventually extricated from their predicament. You simply cannot begin to understand how thankful I am, that I was not involved in that incident.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a friend who lives in the mountains, that decided to learn to fly. Conventional aviation was too expensive, so he hit upon the idea of purchasing an ultralight aircraft which he learned to fly. He flew it for a while and could be seen by locals in the mountains flying around showing everyone his aircraft.

After a while, he managed to get a two-seater, and wanted me to ride with him, I told him not a chance in the world. He talked another friend into riding with him, and they flew from Minter Field down to take a look at Hart Park from the air here in Bakersfield.

Now here is where it gets interesting. After they looked at the park, they decided since it was nearby, to look at Kern River Golf Course. The wind had come up, and when they got near the course, somehow, they managed to get themselves entangled in one of those large shipping lines, with towers that supply power to a whole community nearby.

Power was shut down, thankfully they weren't electrocuted, the fire department and other emergency people were called to the scene, and they were eventually extricated from their predicament. You simply cannot begin to understand how thankful I am, that I was not involved in that incident.
this reminds me of the time decades back that I declined an offer for a ride to go partying with some friends in a town 30 miles away.
one of those guys ended up stuck in a wheelchair for life as a result of their misadventures that night

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm waiting for the "modern" day infants to arrive, they will have stubby little arms, and legs with long skinny fingers for working push buttons on phones and other appliances that allow them to recline comfortably in their recliners all day. Of course, they will have built in toilet facilities, probably eliminate the need for beds, just use them long skinny fingers to work the buttons, lean back, and go beddy-bye! A ten by twelve-foot dwelling should be more than adequate for modern living.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The "modern" chair will have a tube running from below to the top, after the initial meal, recycling will do the rest.