Modern problems: Food delivery drone lands on power lines.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Not really funny, but funny in this context. Some time ago when food delivery drones were in the news I wondered if they'd be a hoopty drone reckless driving equivalent of what we see at neighbor's home where we don't think have the ability to actually make food or shop in a conventional manner or even walk.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Postman was truly a prophet
1664538044292.png

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s as though as a society we’ve decided to work out the hard way why things are done “the way things are done”. Everything should be open to questioning and improvement but ignorance is not a qualification.

It’s like Carl Sagan said. Our lives are becoming more and more technological over time (which is pretty value-neutral in this context, and probably even leans towards the good), but knowledge and expertise about it remains the domain of the relative few, making (the general) “Us” more and more beholden to stuff we don’t understand and therefore can’t even adequately question.

Only he didn’t seem to me to be making it sound so voluntary or even enthusiastic as what I see around me.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
View attachment 1034860
This would have been maybe 1968-70 when this youngster was listening to cranky elders at a family gathering. They were sure any or all of cars with cruise control and delay windshield wipers were going to do us in. Family friend Arthur who I always enjoyed told them to shut up because he still remembered how hard it was to turn around a wagon in Chicago if you had a team vs 1 horse. My own grandfather recalled his best horse that was ancient cruise control but he still had to wake up and care for her when they got home.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They were sure any or all of cars with cruise control and delay windshield wipers were going to do us in.
I've had two power car windows , on two different cars, fail on me. When they fail, it's always that they do not close all the way, which is no fun in Wisconsin winters

Never in my life has an old-fashioned crank one fail for me

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I've had two power car windows , on two different cars, fail on me. When they fail, it's always that they do not close all the way, which is no fun in Wisconsin winters

Some light truck class work vehicles are the only ones still made with crank windows and it's a specific option or build choice. Otherwise we've effectively solved the electric window reliability issue with Toyotas and no longer spending money on the crap GM, Ford and Stellantis make. I did not have Fords fail but even later model GM and Stellantis vehicles have helped me understand if hell exists, they probably made it for people who design, manufacture or sell GM and Stellantis vehicles.

don71

Tele-Afflicted

Even if the handle broke (rare) a decent pair of vise grips would get the window up. I got a new window switch for my truck coming in the mail. I had to slam the door while holding the switch in the up position. I got lucky, no drive throughs for me.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Not really funny, but funny in this context. Some time ago when food delivery drones were in the news I wondered if they'd be a hoopty drone reckless driving equivalent of what we see at neighbor's home where we don't think have the ability to actually make food or shop in a conventional manner or even walk.

Uh.....is "drunk droning" going to become a new term in the dictionary?
I think in situations like this, the food delivery company should be harshly fined to compensate those who lost power.....that might encourage a little more care.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Uh.....is "drunk droning" going to become a new term in the dictionary?
I think in situations like this, the food delivery company should be harshly fined to compensate those who lost power.....that might encourage a little more care.
This was Wing an Alphabet (Google) business. It was not in the USA. My experience in enterprise infrastructure management and working for ISP in the past is USA utilities bring in law enforcement for a range of matters that cause problems. Insurance claims also pursue parties found to be at fault.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted

I'm an actual old-fashioned crank, but I like power windows because I can control all of them from my seat, like Capt Kirk. I have had failures, though, and they're always in the winter or when it's pouring rain. Fortunately, most cars with power windows also have AC and heat, so you never need to open the windows anyway.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 1034860
That reminds me of hearing my dad being lambasted by his brothers back in the late 70s.

He worked his way up through the ranks of the post office from being a telegram boy in the 1950s. At the time the UK Post Office was splitting the telecoms division off getting it ready to be privatised.

My dad and his brothers were sitting playing cards and drinking whisky, and my he was telling them that in the future we'd be able to order our groceries via a keyboard (typewriter he called it), a television screen and the signal would go down the phone lines "in the same way the Yanks watch their TV".

I clearly remember the incredulous guffaws from my uncles and the whisky fuelled expletives.

My auld fella was right as time has proven; however, he has trouble using a TV remote.