Modern Player Thinline Deluxe, upgrades?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ape Factory, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

This man shares my experience with regards to the volume knobs.
    For some reason I've found that at 100%, those MP90s just don't sound very good.

I don't what happens but it's like in the last 15-20% of those knobs, the guitar has way too much low mids or something? Beats the piss out of my AC15's preamp... And not in a particularly good sounding way. It just sounds overwhelmed and unclear.

Lately I've been dialing back to almost exactly what waparker4 said: Bridge 80%, neck 75% (sometimes a little lower).... And he's right about the middle position with those settings.

At one hundo on both knobs, the middle position is way too scooped and spikey. Dialing it back, as above, sounds really nice to me. Overdrives really well. Kinda has a Tom Petty / heartland rock vibe?

My conspiracy brain wants to say that Fender just ordered cheap spec, loud as hell P90s, and didn't want to take the extra step to "individually voice" them for each position..... Called them "modern player 90s" so they'd sound intentional to the market. They're legit too hot.

I haven't experienced the mud issue upon volume reduction, obviously. Ends up sounding tighter and cleaner as you roll back actually. Sometimes for fun I roll back to like 30%-40% and use a compressor to get level back.... Sounds like an acoustic to my ears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.