Modern Player Thinline Deluxe, upgrades?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ape Factory, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Good info. I went with what they recommended. Maybe I'll order a .10uf and experiment. But I'll try the .047 first and see how it goes.

2. Golden Death

Golden Death NEW MEMBER!

I've been considering attempting a tremolo of some kind but not sure if the thin body could handle it...thoughts? and if yes, what kind? a bigsby would be ideal I guess but I would pretty much go for anything that works.

3. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

From what I saw, the top is pretty thin and there's no block below where the bridge is screwed in. I can't say for sure if it would be possible or not though, no real experience with installing a bigsby.

So I ordered "modern" saddles in stainless steel from Guitar Fetish. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Stainless-Steel-Saddles-Fits-Trems-Set-of-Six_p_773.html

Won't have to upgrade the base plate although I may take it off and give it a brushed chrome look to match the new tuners. I despise chrome with a passion.

And Schaller (made for Fender) locking tuners (brushed chrome). I thought the larger, heavier tuning keys would help sustain a bit. Can't help it. Must resist semi-shiny metal parts just doesn't work with me. If those KTS titanium saddles hadn't been 2 3/16th's spacing they probably would have been mine.

This is quickly becoming my favorite guitar (hey, I only have two). It's official, I have Telecaster disease. I noted this when cruising the Warmoth site and found at least a half dozen finished bodies listed that I found really interesting and wouldn't mind using in a build.

4. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Pots/wiring showed up this afternoon from Mojotone. They wired up the three way. Not sure how I'd ever get it in there without un-soldering it. If I had to do this all over again, I'd do it all at once, LOL.
    [​IMG]

5. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Rosewood Neck

Not sure if some would consider this an upgrade, but I swapped the necks on my Modern Player and Classic Vibe Thinlines. I should say that the Squier normally has a maple neck, but I had previously swapped its maple with the rosewood from a CV Deluxe.

The CV got a little of its snap back and I really like the uber dark rosewood against the Modern Player's dark chocolate hues.

Mechanically, it was a near perfect swap. No shims required. I will let them settle in and then adjust the action a bit. Not much needed, though.

The CV has Custom Shop Texas Specials, Babicz bridge and 50s wiring/.010uf cap.

Attached Files:

6. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Nice! Optical illusion maybe but the CV rosewood neck looks wider.

7. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Installed the kit from Mojotone and the short version of the story is it made quite a bit of difference. To me, this guitar now sounds fantastic and the pickups really seemed to have come alive.

If anyone else orders this kit, be aware of a few issues. First, the pot shafts are larger (and solid). This'll necessitate widening of the pick guard holes with a file. It's a five minute job.

Second, this also means the old knobs won't fit. So new knobs too.

Third, the three way switch is physically larger BUT the threaded portion which would poke through the cavity isn't long enough. So for now, I had to reuse the old one. The OEM switch really isn't that bad and it has no effect on tone anyway. I'm sure Mojo will send me a new one. As I stated earlier, you'll also have to de-solder the supplied switch for installation. Again, not really a big deal.

Lastly, the outside diameter of the pots is larger and it can interfere with getting them into the body cavity. They really have to be positioned perfectly and don't tighten them down on the front until everything is in and flat against the guitar body.

The Jack fits fine. The 500K pots have more turning resistance than the 250's. I've still not discovered anything as smooth as the Alpha pots honestly. Both my guitars had them. I may actually be putting them back in my Bernie as I'd swapped them out for others and I'm not thrilled with them.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I had very little playing time last night, will do more today and report back. Off to GC for new knobs!

8. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

So no luck with the knobs at GC. Literally none of them would fit. Not real happy that standard Fender or Gibson knobs won't fit these pots. I get needing a different knob vs. that of an import alpha pot but come on, not even standard American knobs will fit? I've got an email into Mojo to find out what the deal is.

9. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I checked them at the 1st and 12th frets. They are identical. Comparing the neck shapes, I find they are, for all intents and purposes, identical, as well. The maple fretboard has more of a rounded edge, which contributes to the illusion, and the rosewood has a very "flat" feel to it. I also noticed the CV neck has no skunk stripe.

10. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Yeah there's a shadow from the flash which was throwing me off :)

Measured the pot shafts and they're approx. 6mm.

11. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Received and installed the new saddles a bit over a week ago but had to head out on a little R&R. I also received the Schallers while I was gone and they should add a good deal of mass on the other end of things. I may or may not have time to install them and set the guitar up prior to heading out on business all next week. Just a busy, busy month.

[​IMG]

12. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Saddles and tuners are now installed. Still tweaking pickups but I think I've got them where I want them. This is one kick-ass little guitar now. Time to play!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Haven't updated this in a while. I set the guitar aside for a week when I went out of town on business. This is now one sweet ass guitar. I just love the way it sounds and plays. I'd planned this as an experiment before having a custom build done (nothing expensive) and had planned on a P90 neck, tele bridge combo. But I'm completely happy with this guitar as it now sits so I've scrapped my plans. I ended up purchasing a pointy guitar instead.

14. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

Harleysr, I don't own a modern player but the pictures on the web suggest that the neck pocket is non-standard size (slightly longer to accommodate the extra fret).
    How did you manage to do a direct neck swap?

15. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Bump. I'd like to know too actually. I did my first neck swap on another guitar brand and now I'm motivated to do this to the Telecaster, mostly because of the glossy finish. Wonder if anything Warmoth makes would work.

16. OrangeTwang

OrangeTwang NEW MEMBER!

17. life_with_a_song

life_with_a_song TDPRI Member

Hi Guys. I know that this is an older thread at this point, but I sure have enjoyed reading through it, because I'm about to get one of these guitars.

Can any of you tell me what the values are on the stock caps that come in the guitar?

Thanks,
    Greg

18. life_with_a_song

. . .I'm guessing that they're .047, but want to be sure, as I'm probably going to go ahead and order some smaller values in a cap that I tend to like in my other guitars.

19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

20. life_with_a_song

Wonderful--thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.