Modern Jensen in a vintage Twin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by swampyankee, Dec 14, 2018.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a variety of speakers for my '70 SFTR including a set of 70s Rolas and a set of Warehouse G12Cs, which are the wrong impedance (16 instead of 8).
    I really like the Jensen sound, which the G12C is supposed to replicate. I'm considering buying a 15 year old pair of Jensen C12Ns.
    Any experience with modern Jensen in Twins? I believe they're OE in the reissues.

2. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I only have d120fs in the SFTRs I’ve got, but I am interested in what other speakers can work for these monstrous amps!

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I took the Jensen C12K's out of my Twin Reissue almost as soon as I bought it and replaced them with a pair of Eminence Texas heats. After due consideration turns out I like the C12K's just as much and I'm currently using them in a couple of extension cabs for other amps. My opinion is that they are a great speaker.

dannyh and Ash Telecaster like this.
  4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I've had modern C12N's in Twins, they were ok, but nothing special. Standard goldback Fender branded Eminences (low budget) were better IMO, Eminence Legends better still. I've had lightweight Eminence Lil Texas Neos in there for a few years, and they are just excellent, and the amp now weighs way less than a standard Twin, Vox AC30, many Mesa and Marshall 2x12 combos, etc.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I want to try a pair of Mavericks in my BFTR, one of these days. Every other newish speaker I've tried has been too efficient.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Maverick is an excellent speaker; the attenuation feature is icing on the cake.

BobbyZ and JustABluesGuy like this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I don't have it in a Twin, but I have a C12N in my 5e3 clone and it sounds great. I'm in the same boat as you...thinking about a couple of modern replacement speakers for my SF Pro Reverb. I've thought about some of the Eminence speakers as well, but not sure which one would work best.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I run modern C12Ns in my '69 TR. Love 'em. They're well broken in, like eight years old... I never heard them new...

In a carefully recorded test comparison, I compared a pair of original cone JBL D120Fs, and a bunch of other speakers. I fully expected the JBLs to blow everything away - and they do in my other amps - but the Italian Jensens won the day.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I would love to find out how much they can tame a Twin. I would try it myself, but I only have one Maverick, and no Twins! :(

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

With the one in my Deluxe Reverb, turned all the way down, I can run the amp on 5 or so and really get it grinding with a Les Paul. With the old USA C12N about 3 was all the volume I could stand.
    Worth nothing Eminence has a custom shop that can put the FDM thing on other speakers with the same voice coil, I think it's 1.75 in. I got that information on the internet, so it could be fake news. :)

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.