1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern guitar suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReggiedaDog, Feb 27, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

The new MIM charvel dinkies look very nice with all the fixings and people rave about them. Other than that I’ve always wanted to try a strandberg, but they’re out of my reach for just a whim...

Mojohand40 likes this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Schecter PT's are absolutely great modern-playing guitars that look an awfully lot like a traditional Tele, and cost a lot less than a Suhr. Tom Anderson guitars are fantastic if money is no issue, and those Ibanez AZ's are wonderful players. I've gotten to set up all three of these and any one of them will fit your criteria of playing like a modern guitar without looking like MTV metal hour in the 80's.

3. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Add me to the list of guys who like the Ibanez AZ from afar. Ibanez in general I think is an obvious choice here.

I'm assuming a lot of OP's requirement is a fast, modern neck. Some of the Yamaha Pacificas might work too. Even the low end models have great, modern necks that play easily. IME they are super consistent. As a bonus, the cheap models especially come in some very normal looking finishes, and look Stratty enough from a distance. No sharp points, devil horns, neon paint or integrated handles.

Years back I had a minor crisis over an Ibanez Sabre that I picked up and realized was a fantastic guitar. Absurdly comfortable, played like butter and sounded good. Ultimately I decided I couldn't bring the thing home and look at it every day. Vain I suppose, but what it is.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

davidchagrin and blowtorch like this.
  5. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Gretsch

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

you play one of those style guits and really you realize the entire game has absolutely been changed

davidchagrin likes this.
  7. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

It's hard to beat a Guthrie Govan Charvel, it's all modern but modest... like Guthrie's playing

8. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Oh, my ... decisions, decisions.
    If it's within your budget, the Suhr would be my choice. Top class finish and detail in all respects.
    Not that the Ibanez would have any noticeable finish problems (from what I've read the finish is very good), ..... but you would certainly feel a definite bump in quality with the Suhr.
    Music Man: sounds like you've already talked yourself out of this one.

'Sensible'?? .... when did sensible become part of the equation? Sensible is having less than 3 guitars and less than 2 amps.
    Emotion and satisfaction beats sensible every time.

ReggiedaDog likes this.
  9. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Everything was modern once!

10. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

11. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I’ve always admired Joe Satriani model Ibanez. To me it’s modern and classy.

12. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Kiesel guitars are phenomenal. Many shapes to choose from and they are comfortable at higher speeds. The build quality is top notch and the prices are reasonable.
    https://www.kieselguitars.com/customshop/

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I heard tell about a one-eyed feller out in California that made some guitar called a Stratosphere or Stratovision or somethin’ like that...I’ll be dang, it looks like somethin’ a Martian would play that new-fangled rock and roll mess on...

Of course, I’ve been in a coma since 1954, so there might be something newer. He’s supposed to be makin’ a jazz guitar nowadays, too!

davidchagrin and lmjmitchell like this.
  14. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Itll never catch on

Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Low action and taller frets, for an easier touch. Flatter or compound radius, for bends without fretting out. Maybe a thinner neck, if that's what feels good for you. That's what I think of when I think of modern, more like refined.

I saw Andy Timmons for the first time at around 1995-96 at a clinic/expo in Clearwater, FL., which happened to be at the unbelievable Kapok Tree location owned by Sam Ash at the time. Of course, he's playing a modern Ibanez with DiMarzio pickups that looked kind of like a Strat, but dinky and refined, and he's shredding like Stevie Ray meets Steve Via. I was completely blown away.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  16. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Andy Timmons is one of the greatest players, imo. His playing is very emotive and he is extremely versatile, from chickin' pickin' country to bossa, jazz, blues, fusion, shred, etc.

Phrygian77 and davidchagrin like this.
  17. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So.... in the end I managed to get a really good used deal on two guitars! A Valentine came up and I really like these guitars- perfect for my band sound. And I had enough left over for a used Charvel DK24.

There's one slight 'problem' though. They are so bloody good! - After playing them over the weekend am pleased to say my CS Tele holds it own against them, but some of my other guitars (LP Trad, 72 Deluxe) feel heavy, clunky and almost unplayable. Like driving a 1950s car after being used to a modern one with power steering and AC. Has anyone else experienced this?

20210302_191455000_iOS.jpg 20210302_122455000_iOS.jpg

davidchagrin likes this.
  18. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Dunable is making a name for itself in the realm of heavy music. My personal favourite would be Wild Custom Guitars. This one, by Sugi, always looks like a fast and comfortable player to me.

19. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

https://reverb.com/item/37096142-mj...ed-hand-made-mark-johnson-elegant-world-class

I always recommend MJ Guitars. He doesn’t build anymore but you can still find them used. He was my go to boutique builder for about 15 years. Amazing stuff.

This one is overpriced, they usually sell for around $2k depending on features. But just an example.

Something a little different. I love them.

Edit: Just saw you made your decision. So congrats!

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Here’s my PRS SE Hollow body II piezo.
    Awesome. Try one out. It’s a great player and the fantastic sound of the piezo means I don’t need to take an acoustic to a gig.
    F6644233-A759-46BE-9CDB-8C38B6F291E5.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.