1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern guitar suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReggiedaDog, Feb 27, 2021.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Hi all, I've always been a traditional guitar player Teles, Strats, Les Pauls etc. However whilst in lockdown, I've been practicing hard to become a bit faster and learn how to shred a bit.

I recently tried a friends Suhr guitar and was impressed how easy it was to play the faster stuff on so just lately Ive been thinking about treating myself to a more modern guitar. Ideally something very versatile as I play in several bands and I like the idea of having a single guitar to cover a lot of bases as well. So a usable coil split and maybe a fast/compound neck?

Dont want anything too pointy or fluorescent though. I just wondered what fellow Tele players were using or tempted by in this area? Favourites so far have been the Ibanez az series and the Suhr modern or Alt T. Weirdly I have never played a PRS so they could be an option as well.

Thanks in advance folks

Flip G likes this.
  2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Ibanez is often the shredders go-to guitar.
    Suhr, I don't know ... except that they're expensive.

Buell, SRHmusic and Buzzgrowl like this.
  3. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Not an owner but I think those Ibanez AZ series guitars are really intriguing. All the modern features, great build quality but without the neon colors and pointy stuff. Reasonable prices for what you're getting, too.

I've heard some Schecter models praised, too...check out Darrel Braun's YouTube channel. Again, they've got a few models which look a little more traditional but have those modern features.

Buell likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The ESP LTD Series are an affordable option, and they have some of the nicest paying necks ever. This is the H-200FM. It has 24 frets and a push/pull tone pot for coil split, and is only $499 original.png
    This H-1001 has SD pickups and locking tuners for $999
    original (1).png

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Ibanez as kbold siggestef. Also Schecter and ESP.

Buell likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a couple more LTDs with SD pickups in the $1000 range
    original (3).png original (2).png
    They have a huge variety of models spanning lots of body styles colors, and other options

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Yamaha Revstar? I love mine. The 'dry-switch' is a bass cut, which is FAR more useful than any coil-split I've ever used. Looks sharp, too.

[​IMG]

Flip G, davidchagrin, Novak and 3 others like this.
  8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm a big traditionalist type of guy w/ guitar styles, LP, Strat, Tele, 335...I find SG's to be a bit out there...but I want one & would never buy an acoustic w/ a cutaway.

That said, I find myself checking out PRS's...I can see myself playing one. I'm a HUGE Ibanez fan, own several "Golden Era" acoustics & electrics and a couple of MIC's that are top notch. My JSM10, barring pickups & tuners can go toe to toe w/ any Gibson 335 style I've ever played.
    I've really become enamored of their Presitige AZ line. Super Stratish...with out giving out that AquaNet & Spandex vibe & still looking like a fairly traditional Strat.
    DB195660-D4B2-460A-8B65-689D52E07AC7.jpeg
    https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/az2202a_00_01.html

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Flip G and Ron C like this.
  9. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

I have a Revstar with P90s that I love, although it has 12s on it and I use it for Slide- brilliant guitars

northernguitar likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Parker, PRS, and various headless forays have all been fun more modern designs. Also Reverend, and check out the Framus Idol maker. I've got a whole bunch of Schecters also that are awesome.

11. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

I was looking at this very model earlier

bumnote likes this.
  12. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Tom Anderson and Terry Mcinturff both make decent looking super shredder guitars that can be found used for less than a lot of high end builders and between what the two make there’s a pretty variety of options

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a used 2008 PRS Mira not long before I had to stop playing. Since being able to play again it's been my most used guitar. It's easier to play and more comfortable than my others. With two humbuckers, a three way switch, and a coil split it is both straight forward and versatile.

It's not my favorite sounding guitar--that would be the G&L korina ASAT with P90s (except for the hum)--but it works for everything.

Mine is an early iteration; I haven't tried either the S2 or SE versions.

14. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Ibanez Andy Timmons and similar models look and sound really good. (I've not played one yet, but I basically built one slowly without realizing it til later... same pickups, ss frets, 12 inch radius neck, etc.)

The Charvel Guthrie Govan model is another like that.

Depending on budget, you might check out the Tom Anderson guitars like the Classic S or Angel.

Buell likes this.
  15. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Jackson Dinky. Love mine for this type stuff. I have a black satin js32.
    Its a bit of a one trick pony, being 80s style pop metal, or hair metal but it does the trick perfectly.
    Yeah, floyd rose trems is a hate or love it. And definitely a pain at times, but watch some YouTube vids about set up and tuning them and they can definitely be made to work well.
    Anyway. Js32 jackson has a VERY nice compound radius neck, floyd rose, and pretty good high output ceramic humbuckers ...and you can score them for like 300 to 400 bucks (depending on body finish)...
    IMO, speaking as someone who has been playing a long time and owns too many guitars, some which are very nice. Fenders etc. I truly consider the lowly Jackson Dinky to be one if the best deals in "budget" guitars out there. Heck, they have been in production since like 1986, and even the lower end Chinese made ones are pretty great for the price.
    I often think if I had to sell off and get down to just 2 or 3 guitars, my Jackson would be a keeper over guitars that cost me literally more than four times the price I paid for it.
    Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Maybe a PRS or EVH?

17. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So Ive been doing a bit of digging and found three that are used and within budget- cant really try them though because of the lockdown
    1) Suhr Modern Pro- although it has non original pickups (SD JB/Jazz)
    2) Ernie Ball Music Man Valentine- Played one of these many moons ago and really liked it, but not sure it hits the 'modern' tag and might be a bit too close to current guitars
    3) Ibanez Prestige AZ2402- this is actually the cheapest and arguably most sensible option.

Thoughts?

18. this_grackle

this_grackle TDPRI Member

I am such a traditionalist... I keep looking at these blingy axes like :confused:. I guess if I were to go that route I’d probably look for an 80s charvel or something comparable. Solid color with as little bling as possible... a nice working shredder’s guitar.

19. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

The Ibanez 2402 is a fine guitar. I just bought a PRS S2 custom 22. The neck is perfect for me and the guitar is built beautifully. The other guitar I was looking at was the Music Man Luke III but I just couldn’t see dropping that kind of coin.

Buell likes this.
  20. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Charvel seriously, try one.

Mojohand40 and gregulator450 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.