Modern Fender Cunife WRHB identification

Neener

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve been Looking for a used modern Cunife WRHB neck PU, and wondering if there’s a way to tell if it’s a Cunife version or not.

This listing for instance says the PU is from a 2014 ‘72 deluxe. Are there specific years/models where Cunife WR are used?

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
2014 is too early- I think those cunife ones have been out for maybe two years or so- some folks say fender updated the modern ones around 2014 and that they sound better than the previous version but again these are not the cunife ones

Neener

Tele-Afflicted
2014 is too early- I think those cunife ones have been out for maybe two years or so- some folks say fender updated the modern ones around 2014 and that they sound better than the previous version but again these are not the cunife ones

Ah didn’t realize they haven’t been around that long. Interesting thank you!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Ah didn’t realize they haven’t been around that long. Interesting thank you!
Also, the new ones are going for $220, so not that more expensive. I would say this pickup is NOT CuNiFe if it was built around 2014.

This is a CuNiFe picture from Sweetwater. NOTE the grommet:

2022-05-22_11h06_47.jpg

Neener

Tele-Afflicted
Also, the new ones are going for $220, so not that more expensive. I would say this pickup is NOT CuNiFe if it was built around 2014.

Yep you are correct, was trying to save a couple bucks but can get one on A-zon overnight for $220.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The seller's title does not mention CuNiFe, but it is mentioned in the description. I would simply notify the seller of the inconsistency, as he will never sell a pedestrian WRHB for that amount. I don't think he really knows what he doesn't have...

TimTam

Tele-Holic
As the respective pics show, the back of new CuNiFe WRHBs clearly differ from the earlier Fender "reissues", which are all conventional HBs with a bar magnet. That is what that reverb listing is. Those reissues were tweaked a few times over the years by Fender, but they are still all bar magnet HBs. They sell new for under US$100. There is zero "vintage mojo" about them.

The original, vintage Fender CuNiFe WRHBs have the same back layout as the new Fender CuNiFe ones, just less shiny. Only the cable differs.

The only potential point of real confusion would be some non-Fender pickup maker WRHB "clones" that used Alnico or FeCr2 magnetic pole pieces and mimiced the original back layout more closely. Some of those were available as retrofits to the bar magnet reissues, which meant they ended up with Fender covers. You would have to open them up to find the differences, and/or measure for magnetic strength, DCR, inductance, and other differences.

Last edited:

Neener

Tele-Afflicted
Cool thanks for the info. Just ordered a neck Cunife PU for my 94 MIM Tele Special. (As well as a road worn 3-saddle :) )