Modern C neck options for CVC 60's tele

malibu43

TDPRI Member
I like my Squire CVC 60's telecaster but would like to put a thicker neck on it. I had a MIM telecaster a few years back and really liked the way the "modern C" neck felt compared to the very thin neck on the CVC.

I can get a Fender Player (made in mexico) modern C neck from Sweetwater for $300, and also found an option from Mighty Mite for $160. Is the Fender option a better neck or is it a "$140 more for the Fender logo on the headstock" sort of situation?

Also, does anyone know if either of these would potentially have any issues dropping into a Squire Classic Vibe body...?

Thanks!

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
StewMac says Mighty Mite tapers from 0.86"@1st fret to 0.89"@12th Fret--slight chunkier than a stock CVC neck. Mighty Mite doesn't even commit to a spec, they just say it will vary from neck to neck. Sounds like a gamble.

Which is also my experience with any Fender "Modern C" profile, but I feel they are at least a little more meaty up the neck, but there are also going to be variations neck to neck. This page says something actually thinner for the aftermarket Tele neck.

I'd go with Allparts, which I've put on two CVC bodies no problem. One was a FAT profile with rosewood and another was a V-neck, both 1" or nearly 1" down the entire neck. Allparts has so far kept specs pretty consistent. I feel Allparts are generally better in quality than Mighty Mite, but it's also been a few years since I bought a neck.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Should fit fine. As always there may be slight adjustments. Fender website has decent info on their replacement necks, they’re mostly MiM necks and I’ve bought one direct and it dropped in easily.

1stpitch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I think I would just sell the Squier, put the money with it that you would have spent on a neck, plus maybe a few more bucks, and buy a MIM Fender.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I always liked the MIM modern C. Not sure about the Player version. The standard MIM used to be $220 from Fender. $300 now?
Check with the Strat 0 Sphere, they usually have 'as new' take offs.
They often have others like some WD Music made necks. I bought one that was perfect unlike WD necks 15 years ago. I think it was $145

malibu43

TDPRI Member
Well, guitar center price matched Amazon and gave me a new Player Telecaster in 3 tone sunburst. $629 + tax! Played it for a day and then put it back in the box for a month since it was allowed "as a Christmas present".

In the meantime I'm working on selling the Squire Classic Vibe...

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well, guitar center price matched Amazon and gave me a new Player Telecaster in 3 tone sunburst. $629 + tax! Played it for a day and then put it back in the box for a month since it was allowed "as a Christmas present".

I think you did the right thing. And I own at least five Squiers...

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's

This was a good move and especially at that price. The neck on my Player Tele is amazing and very “Goldilocks” as far as feel. I did swap tuners to vintage style, but that’s just a preference for me.