1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modern Bandit and Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gitlvr, Dec 4, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Anyone use the modern Bandit with this pedal?

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

The bandit should be adequate to give any melody a test run.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The Bandit is quite capable of producing musical OD tones on its own, no?

Your guitar's Volume knob is your friend, or simply stomp over to the OD section!

4. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

I heard something on a forum that somebody’s brothers uncle told them that boss pedals were originally designed to work with a JC120 (solid state) so maybe Boss drive pedals in general might be good.
    However I would do one of two things with a Bandit (which is would totally gig):
    -use the clean AND OD channels and pedals just as a slight gain or volume boost.
    -use just the clean channel and an “amp in the box pedal”,

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

It certainly is, and for music where only one or the other, clean or dirty, is required, that's not a problem.
    But the new Bandit's switching has a pause/mute feature when switching from clean to dirty that is decidedly unmusical. Do a search and you will see it is well known and discussed. IMO it makes the amp unusable as a channel switching amp in that kind of situation.
    For those situations, for me a good OD is a better choice. MHO.

6. FenderGuy53

True. But you can also set your amp's Volume knob to borderline clean, then use your guitar Volume knob to push it over the edge. Right?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yes and no. I play a variety of music, some that would lend itself to that, others that require a really, really clean tone. Borderline clean doesn't cut it sometimes
    Besides, that would require my changing the way I have played for the last thirty years.
    I'm not one of those that used the volume knob to control things like that. That is definitely a viable way to go, and a ton of players do that well. I am not one of those guys. Every time i have tried that, I was either too loud in the mix, or not loud enough, depending. It just isn't the way I prefer to play.

8. FenderGuy53

Gotcha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.