Modern automotive foolishness

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SuprHtr, Sep 22, 2021.

1. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My wife's 2015 Beetle convertible had a dead battery the other day. I charged it up and it started fine but by the next morning it was dead again. Being an analytical person, I had to find out whether it was an internal or external short that was draining it. Last night I pulled the leads and read a good high resistance across them. Then I charged the battery and left it disconnected overnight. This morning, its voltage had dropped significantly and I prepared to buy a battery.

My first clue that I had more problems was when I checked the Advance Auto Parts website and found that my local store won't swap batteries on this model due to the need for a computer reset. Uh-oh.

Sure enough, I went out and tried to jump start the Beetle and it would not crank. Plenty of voltage and a control system that didn't care. So now I'm booked into the dealer A WEEK FROM NOW for a battery replacement. At least I have towing coverage, but this is really more complicated than I think it should be. Next time, I'll have a temporary 12 volt source connected to the leads before I disconnect the battery. (Rant off)

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

How to Reset the Immobilizer
    1. Disconnect both battery cables.
    2. Tap both cables together.
    3. Leave the cables disconnected for fifteen minutes.
    4. Reconnect the cables to the battery.
    If you don't want to pay Volkswagen for a battery.

Wally, Flaneur, Mark E Rhodes and 7 others like this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yeah.... I've heard you can plug into the cigarette lighter (aux plug or whatever you call them now) with another source when pulling the battery. not your rig specifically, but there are others that do the same thing.... go dead with no battery

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SuprHtr likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

That’s nuts. My wife had a TDI Jetta from 2010, the “buy back” edition. Nothing VW surprises me anymore.

But the seatbelt had 2 bottle openers on it so…

SRHmusic, Timbresmith1 and ponce like this.
  6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought all ECU's had a backup battery in them. Just reminded me to never buy a Volkswagen.

7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Hope it works out for you at the dealer, but that’s a hard way to learn the lesson that changing batteries ain’t as simple as it used to be.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Not sure if related to this case but a reliable engineer told me oe batteries are only good for 4 years. Max

Mike SS likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's discouraging to read about the many different ways manufacturers try to discourage "user service" on their products.
    I'm currently experiencing reduced battery recharge lifespan on an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy) and have noticed it doesn't seem to have a replaceable battery.
    If anyone has a hack for this, I'm all ears - I usually go 5 or more years between phone upgrades (when I could swap batteries).
    Sigh :rolleyes:

10. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Holic

I have a fun related story: Years ago I was replacing the battery on my then GF's '98 Chevy Malibu. It had maybe half a tank of gas in it at the time. The gauge was a standard needle-type that had a peg at the bottom that it rested on. Like most cars, when the ignition was off the needle would drop down and rest on top of the peg. I removed the failing battery and installed a new one. Upon turning the ignition on for the first time, the needle spun all the way around past Full and buried itself on the opposite side of the peg! I did a few drive cycles and all it did was continue to push the needle against the bottom of the peg. I had to pull the lens off the gauge cluster and pop the needle off the shaft and allow it rezero. It worked fine after then. For the next battery change I hooked a battery charger up to the auxiliary positive post to maintain power while replaced the battery.

dogmeat likes this.
  11. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Holic

many times the "non-replaceable" batteries can be replaced by specialty cellphone repairs shops. It may or may not be worth it based on the age of the phone. Modern cellphones have a planned life of about 3 years. After that the software starts to become obsolete. I just went through this with my Pixel 3 phone. My battery was toast and needed recharging 3 to 4 times a day. I could've spent $100 to replace the battery or $600 to replace with a Pixel 5. Sounds cheaper to replace the battery but then you find out that the Pixel 3 will no longer be available for OS updates. So I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 5. Side benefit is that my 3 is still somewhat usable as a backup.

Deeve likes this.
  12. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

I have run into this type of problem before, I believe the car was a Chevrolet. An internet search revealed the secret reset method, still wasted an hour of my time though.

13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I had an '88 Ford Taurus with so many shorts and leaks that I had to unhook the battery every time I parked it for more than an hour or two. Great car when it ran, but it fell apart well before 100,000 miles. Bent coat hanger wire holding the hood to its catch and the front seats to their brackets, holes I drilled in the trunk to drain the pond it would collect from modest rains, AC that blew in engine smoke and a transmission that played the congas when it did bother to shift. Duct tape here and half-working this or that elsewhere. But at least it was jerry-rig-able. I think that Jethro Bodine ultimately put it in Granny's still after I donated it to the Kidney Foundation. Got a dirty look as they lugged it away.

350px-One_piece_at_a_time.jpg

danfalck likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dude. Six years is the typical life of a lead acid car battery. Lucky it happened at home. Just go buy a battery and have a handy neighbor help you change it out.

getbent likes this.
  15. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

So get a Honda. Nothing ever breaks on those. I used to say the same re Tacomas, but not any more.

The best car I ever had was a '69 Impala, but those days and those cars and those Americans are long-gone now.

16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We’re lucky to get 18-24 months here. 4 years would be a freaking miracle. I’d have that battery gold plated and put on a shelf. No one would believe it

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Yup, batteries live longer in some areas and shorter in others, and also can be affected by how many time it cranks and how large of an engine and/or compression ratio, but nevertheless, the six year rule is one to go by.

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Timely thread. I was looking at one of the new Beetles at a ridiculously low price on Facebook the other day but it mentioned it had a battery issue so I went in search of battery issues on the Internet. Hoo boy did I find a bunch lol.

19. Obsessed

Be it a tiny Hyundai or a Ferrari, about 6 years for the battery.

20. Obsessed

My ‘71 Porsche 911 had dual batteries … one under each headlight.:oops:

dkmw and Timbresmith1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.