Modeling Amp noise trouble shoot help needed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fozhebert, Aug 14, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm currently running a Fender G-Dec Junior. It serves the purpose admirably for home practice. There is a low level buzz in the amp even when nothing is plugged in and the volume is at zero. There is no buzz when I plug in my Vox Pathfinder 10.

Would I possibly be looking at dirty power in the outlet (room) I'm in? The only variable I can see would be a digital vs analog amp as I've tried both amps in the exact same outlet. The electrical is less than stellar where I am in a 40 year old house and in a room wired up by the "handyman" previous owner.

Would a power conditioner be useful to clean up the AC?

Thanks wiring gurus,

Fozhebert

2. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

I've had that same buzzing problem in several digital/modeling amps. I have not tried a power conditioner, but here are my observations.

I did try the Ebtech Hum X which plugs into the wall electrical socket and is supposed to stop hum. It did not stop the hum for any of my digital/modeling amps.

Three years ago we had all new wiring installed in our house including new breaker box and extra 20 amp wall sockets in all rooms.

The Roland Hot Cube & Fender X2 I bought new buzzed like a bee hive; I took them back for a refund. Three Line 6's also buzzed badly, so I sold them. Pedals don't buzz in my set up. The hum does not come from guitars or cords.

My 1969 tube Fender Super Reverb and solid state 1969 Kustom amps and digital new Fender Champion 100 have zero hum.

If you get a power conditioner, let us know if it helps, and if it effects your tone when playing clean.

CFFF likes this.
  3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

One amp buzzes. One amp does not buzz.
    Probably not the house.
    Probably the fault of the buzzing amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.