Modeler:HELP! How to deal with the endless possibilities?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by braveheart, Nov 20, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

Just got my Atomic Amplifire 3...great/real sounding device...
    but I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities...and I don't even talk about fxs...
    -100s of IRs (incl. on my pc)
    -many amps
    -many eqs,fxs etc

So, what's your general approach to deal with that?

-Do you simply try to emulate "your tone" that you already have with your tube amps/cabs? (not caring about all the "bells and whistles")

Like this:
    1. The right amp
    2. The right cab (at this point it already becomes "stressful":confused:)
    3. Test the "cut through the mix" factor (along with music etc.)
    4. fine-tune with additional eqs,ods etc (stress overkill!:eek:)
    5. rotational vertigo!:mad:

- do you use the internal fx (pre/post) or do you just use your ext. pedalboard and pretend the modeler is your "real world" amp/cab?

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

YES... that is exactly what I do! Just because you have a million options that doesn't mean you have to use them... or even try them.

Setup something you are familiar with....
    1. Choose an amp model you know and like
    2. Choose a matching cabinet or IR.... this is not the time to experiment.
    3. Choose effects the exact same way you would build a pedal board.
    Those three steps will give you a baseline setup that you can use and trust. IMO, that is a very important step!

Now... when you have time to experiment you can copy that preset to another locations and try some different things. Approach all changes just like a normal setup.
    • If you want to try a new amp, just change the amp - DO NOT start from scratch!
    • If you want to try a new speaker, change the cab or IR, DO NOT start from scratch!
    • If you want to try a new effect.... add it, or swap it with another. DO NOT start from scratch!
    Over time, you will learn how each amp/cab/IR and effect sounds so you can piece up new options.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    braveheart, Mad Kiwi and rangercaster like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I find ya gotta start just experimenting,using your ears only, with the core tones, because what they label stuff is sometimes misleading.
    Just for example: I'm a huge rockabilly tone fan, yet every supposed "rockabilly" factory preset, labeled as such in a modeler, I've found absolutely dreadful.
    And sometimes stuff that'd I'd think I'd hate, based on "metal-ish" names, actually sound very good in other applications, often by simply varying the gain structure

Just keep an open mind and open ears

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    braveheart likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And yeah, start with the amp section.

braveheart likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

First thing to do is clear all the factory presets.

6. Lineville65

Lineville65 TDPRI Member

I don’t have the Atomic. I decided I was going to go all in no matter how long it takes using it to replace my amp and pedalboard.

I started making a preset for my single coils picking an amp and cab modeling those with which I was familiar then adding effects. I eq’d to what was in my head on the amp model and also added eq at the end. Each time I use it live I bring it home and tweak some more.

Then I made a second preset for humbuckers repeating the process. Then I made a preset for my acoustic without any amp model using it as a big DI box.

Right now I guess Im using it in the way Ive been familiar for years with amps and a pedalboard. When Im comfortable with that I’ll move on to what it can do with presets for songs
    But, I may turn out to be just happy with what Im doing now.

I did find it helped to, for once in my life, read the manual. I read it over and over and watched every tutorial I could find. I’ve found it takes patience.

Digital Larry and braveheart like this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

When I switched to using a modeling amp for certain venues, I put a good deal of effort into setting it up to emulate the amps it was substituting for...a couple hours in front of a pair of 60's blackface Fenders.

A lot of time with them at stage volume levels in various stages of breakup...getting it as close as I could with each type of instrument I normally used.

Then it was just a midi controller to move between an archtop through, say a distorted Super Reverb or whatever.

Never any interest in the multitude of FX available.

braveheart likes this.
  8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My favorite amp is my ‘66 Deluxe Reverb. But it’s in storage in another country.

A couple years ago I bought a Mustang III modelling amp. I tried all the amps and all the cabs. And then settled on the blackface Deluxe Reverb.

braveheart and getbent like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Choose or create what you need and will use ... Pick a number ... 5??? 10???
    Save those... When you feel adventurous or bored ... Explore the other million choices ...

braveheart likes this.
  10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The way I use my GT-100 is to find the 5 or 6 amp sounds I like best, the compressor and modulation settings I like best, and then mix and match them up. I've got maybe 20 patches that could cover 95% of the tunes I know. I'll never have to time to explore all the things this pedal can do, and by the time I find the time, I'll have bought a new modeler and have to start all over again.

braveheart likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

yup. and what a nice sound you can get!

once in awhile when I'm after something else, I'll go build it or download it from the fuse site.

braveheart likes this.
  12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I used to have many presets but found it cumbersome to use in a live situation... too much to remember. I whittled it down to one or 2 basic tones that I use for each band. It's not as versitile but I'm far happier with this arrangement and nobody has really noticed much of a difference anyway.

braveheart and getbent like this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I went through all 100 presets. I modded treble, mid, bass a bit. If I liked it, I wrote down the amp and the stomps that were associated with that sound.

When I got through all 100, and looked at the "like list", a few very distinct patterns emerged. I updated the patches that used those components, and pretty much just use those. I have three or four I use all the time - and two of them are Deluxe Reverb based. There are only a few others I consider, so I'm down to about 5 presets.

Were I to gig, I would copy those to the first 5 presets, so I could easily switch between them.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Cool thread, lots of helpful info...but Unixfish’s approach here is a way to look at it I hadn’t considered; modding existing sounds and looking for patterns in the changes you made.

I use an older Zoom modeler (B2) as the preamp in my bass rig and I found one model I like (Marshall Superbass) and I have just stayed with that and gradually tweaked compression, gain and EQ over time. I’ve messed with the other amp models a little and could probably stand to “optimize” each one for my purposes and look for a pattern in what I did afterwards. I might learn something new that way.

I have noticed that I’m more willing to try weird combinations of settings when I experiment with guitar or lap steel through the B2. I’m more conservative with bass. Oddly, the lap steel patch I’ve gotten fond of uses the Acoustic 360 model as a starting point, and the guitar sound I like best starts with the Hartke 3500 model. When I had a borrowed Pod 2.0 for awhile, the guitar sound I
    came up with was a cranked up JC120 with a bunch of compression and mids. Keep a reference tone you like to check yourself against but try everything you have patience for!

braveheart likes this.
  15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just a hobby player anymore. I just got a Line6 minipod to replace the Scholz Rockman I got in the 70s. My amp is a 5E3 I built about 10 years ago, and my only other pedal I use is an Ibanez parametric EQ I bought in 1985. I got left behind a long time ago. LOL.

I feel your pain. This pod thing has so much versatility. When I use it, I spend 10 minutes or so praying over the manual and tweaking to get what I want from it, then I want to just enjoy for a while. I skip the part where I organize things to be able to ever get that sound again.

But I agree with those above who advise creating a few presets you can return to easily to cover most situations, then building on that as you get more proficient at controlling it.

The pod is working out just fine for me. It was cheap. :). And it does all I want.

braveheart likes this.
  16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

Good advice about working with a few presets. It's like they tell you in English class when you have to write an essay: limit your topic. As great as this technology is, it can become "fritter-ware" quickly. Meaning you can fritter away all the time you have. It also takes away from time actually playing.

That said, I love modeling software. For me it's a '59 bassman. For other colors an AC30, Marshall plexi, Fender blackface (something with a middle control). Really, that pretty much covers it for me.

getbent likes this.
  17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I gigged a Mustang iii with a band playing mainly rock n indie covers plus a few originals. After the initial hours and hours spent playing around with all the various presets I set up four or five channels that gave me a range of sounds. I did the same with my GT100.

It's a cost effective and back friendly way to get some decent tones. It also saves option confusion while still leaving loads of choice if you ever want to experiment or have favourite oddball songs that need a particular sound.

braveheart likes this.
  18. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

thanks, what do you mean exactly with "don't start from the scratch" ???

19. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

yes,I figured that out,too...my favourite vox is a modified Plexi...:)

20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

that's another very good tip!:)

preactor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.