1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modeler for DI recording

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dmfp123, Jan 18, 2021.

1. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, so I'm a guitar teacher & I want to set up a modest recording studio for kids to use in my teaching studio. I've put a lot of thought into it & the building I'm in would just cost too much to soundproof... walls are thin and it's by a busy street, so I think my best option is just to go digital DI. Would also be nice so I can have an older kid recording in one room while I'm teaching in another.

As of now the vast majority of my kids are into stuff that requires a good clean tone, so... that's my criteria and question--which of the modeling amps has the most options/tweakability/general quality of the clean sounds? Mainly looking at the Vox Cambridge, Blackstar Silverline, and Spark.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Do you even need and amp.

There are non amp solution like an Iridium, HX Stomp, or something from Two Note which all sound great.

Or there are also software based solutions that run in your software platform.

So many choices!

3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Anything from the original POD to the latest Helix/Fractal/Kemper floor units will do a great job.
    I'd tend to stay away from software plugins for playing through. They're really more for post production and the potential latency headaches, could detract from the learning experience.

Peegoo and dmfp123 like this.
  4. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

technically no, but I like the idea of being able to play with it away from a computer/ipad/headphones

Amps are kind of intrinsically fun

5. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I had a Hughes and ketner tubemeister 18 combo I used for recording, but expensive but had cleans to die for, dirt forever, 18w,5w I think 1w settings, plus silent DI through H&K redbox built in.

Twang-ineer likes this.
  6. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

internet rabbit hole led me to another possibility--tiny amps close mic'd... for the price of the Blackstar I could get like 3 little practice amps and just close-mic them with a sm57... probably wouldn't have too much noise bleed with that config either, huh?

7. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I use virtual amps and fx when recording "normal" music. There are several options. That way it is really easy to change the sound later. When I want to go silly with my pedals I put them through my Sansamp pedal. That's inexpensive but there are many fancier ones.

Here are some you might like.

Many new amps have a line out and that's one way to go. I have a couple of Roland Cubes but I haven't tried recording with them.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Fender Mustang LT25, and the Yamaha THR10C, and they both sound fantastic recording direct using their USB out, much better than I ever imagined they would, and the best sounding recordings I've ever made at home using any recording method.

9. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

these amps just sound shockingly good, is the thing, lol

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

swervinbob likes this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Fractal FM3 will do everything & sound great doing it. Clean sounds are amazing. Lots of fun to have around, great practice tool. I have really come around on this thing this winter. Yeah, it's expensive -- but you can expense it, can't you?

12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just use my live rig, a Boss GT-10. It has all the models and effects one could want and a USB output to use as an interface. For me it is better to use a nice quality modeler than a cheap amp, I am sure others disagree but that's what makes the world go round.

13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yamaha thr if you only need very quiet.

Boss Katana is cheap, gets lots of praise but I don't think it sounds that great, but it's cheap and versatile.

Fender tonemaster, if it's in your budget, sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Great sounding amp.

Or get a two notes torpedo captor x if you have an amp you like already. That's what I use and I'm thrilled with it. But I wouldn't want kids to be messing with my rig.

14. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I second the Tubemeister 18. You could use a cabinet to monitor and then record from the Redbox out. That lets them "feel" the amp and still capture a clean signal without the need for a mic. If they want a different sound, they can learn about using an IR to modify the sound. The tone stack in that amp and the general vibe and feel of the amp I find to be very "neutral" and predictable. Amazing cleans or you can push the front end, using the variable output affects the way the amp distorts, there is a lot that could be learned there.

15. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

If you're on a budget... a used Yamaha DG stomp is a great way to go. It excels at its clean channels and has great built-in effects.

16. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

iRig and let 'em go nuts with all the virtual pedals etc in the Amplitube software?

Or

Scarlett 2i2 or similar interface with the same software ^^ ?

Have used both around the house, but haven't experienced any real latency with either.

17. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I will recommend a used Eleven Rack, the protools interface.
    Last years technology with all the bells and whistles, $200 or less.
    Headphone out, DI out, Amp out
    Programming on the face of the unit is very easy, No Need for protools, though there is a stand alone editor if you want.

18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Look for a used 1st generation Yamaha THR -- I can do decent USB recording with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.