Modding Squier Affinity Tele (Another hotrails post)

chrispywings

NEW MEMBER!
Hi, sorry if y'all are sick to death of this kind of post. Can't quite find the answers I am looking for.

So this is the Squier Affinity Tele and I have just bought this seymour duncan hot rails for the bridge.

I want to know -
- How do I tell if my pots are 250k or 500k? I keep reading that I need 500k for this pickup to really shine.

- What other things should I change on my tele? I am mostly looking to play metal and other heavy rock with it. So what can I do to make it even more amazing?

- If I have to change pots, is this a hard job and is it expensive?

Thanking you in advanced!

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I don't know what they are putting in Affinities, but the pot value should be engraved into the pot.

Swapping is easy enough if you can solder. You will be there anyways changing the pickup, so changing the pots isn't that much more work.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
250k are pretty standard in telecasters, so unless they've gone off piste then that's what will be in it.

If you are putting a hot rails in the bridge then I presume you can solder, so changing the pots to 500k won't be expensive or difficult. It may not make as much difference as you expect though and you may not want it that bright for metal anyway?

I think it's a 'suck it and see' thing. I have 1 P90 guitar with 500k and another P90 guitar with 250k, both sound great to me and I've never felt the need to change either to the other.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
Hi, sorry if y'all are sick to death of this kind of post. Can't quite find the answers I am looking for.

So this is the Squier Affinity Tele and I have just bought this seymour duncan hot rails for the bridge.

I want to know -
- How do I tell if my pots are 250k or 500k? I keep reading that I need 500k for this pickup to really shine.

- What other things should I change on my tele? I am mostly looking to play metal and other heavy rock with it. So what can I do to make it even more amazing?

- If I have to change pots, is this a hard job and is it expensive?

Thanking you in advanced!

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
I recently changed the pickups in my bullet tele to a broadcaster type at the bridge and paf style bucker at the neck.
I've left the standard 250k pots in and it sounds fine, much better than with the original pups, while the middle position is really good