Modding my Partscaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, Jun 16, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just to be clear, I do like to use the A pots on the tone. I just use Linear (B) on the volume control. Does that have a single volume + single tone or is it a pair of volume controls?

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Single volume and single tone.

awasson likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

With mods, the re-sale value simply craters out, dude.
    ;)

4. Zepfan

It's a Partscaster.

jimilee and awasson like this.
  5. Zepfan

I wired the cap between lug 3 and ground as I usually do, but a lot of the 50's wiring have the cap between the volume and tone pots and then some have the cap from lug 2 of the pot to ground. Seems that the last version would be the same as what I already have, just different lugs. Don't know what difference that would make.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I haven’t checked to see if there is an audible difference between cap -> tone pot -> ground or tone pot -> cap -> ground.

The reason I was asking about whether it was single volume, single tone is that I find the tone control has a more useful sweep using a type A pot. In the same way I find the volume is a more useful sweep with a B type control.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. Zepfan

This mod hasn't turned out the way I thought it would. 3 P90's in a Strat is just to much of a good thing. The 2 and 4 positions aren't the same as 2 pickups in a traditional 2 pickup guitar and they are too big sounding for the 2 & 4 positions of a Strat.

I think the better setup would be P90 in bridge and neck positions with a Strat middle pickup. Like the HSH setups of some Strats, but with singles. The P90's are very much like regular humbuckers in their magnetic field area and full tone. 3 of them together is better played each position singularly or bridge-neck together like on 3 humbucker guitars IMO.

I could easily get another guard and replace the middle P90 with a Strat middle pickup, but my inner Frankenstein is moving in another direction. I'm thinking 2 groups of P90 and Strat pickups. One group in the bridge and one group in the neck. My own version of PRails - so to speak. The switching will be fun to work out. I ordered some slide switches - on/on and on/on/on for whatever I need. I want to be able to get either pickup alone/both in parallel/both in series in each group wired to a 4 way switch for some interesting pairing of singles in each group option as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.