Modding my Partscaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, Jun 16, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just to be clear, I do like to use the A pots on the tone. I just use Linear (B) on the volume control. Does that have a single volume + single tone or is it a pair of volume controls?

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Single volume and single tone.

awasson likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With mods, the re-sale value simply craters out, dude.
    ;)

4. Zepfan

It's a Partscaster.

jimilee and awasson like this.
  5. Zepfan

I wired the cap between lug 3 and ground as I usually do, but a lot of the 50's wiring have the cap between the volume and tone pots and then some have the cap from lug 2 of the pot to ground. Seems that the last version would be the same as what I already have, just different lugs. Don't know what difference that would make.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I haven’t checked to see if there is an audible difference between cap -> tone pot -> ground or tone pot -> cap -> ground.

The reason I was asking about whether it was single volume, single tone is that I find the tone control has a more useful sweep using a type A pot. In the same way I find the volume is a more useful sweep with a B type control.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. Zepfan

This mod hasn't turned out the way I thought it would. 3 P90's in a Strat is just to much of a good thing. The 2 and 4 positions aren't the same as 2 pickups in a traditional 2 pickup guitar and they are too big sounding for the 2 & 4 positions of a Strat.

I think the better setup would be P90 in bridge and neck positions with a Strat middle pickup. Like the HSH setups of some Strats, but with singles. The P90's are very much like regular humbuckers in their magnetic field area and full tone. 3 of them together is better played each position singularly or bridge-neck together like on 3 humbucker guitars IMO.

I could easily get another guard and replace the middle P90 with a Strat middle pickup, but my inner Frankenstein is moving in another direction. I'm thinking 2 groups of P90 and Strat pickups. One group in the bridge and one group in the neck. My own version of PRails - so to speak. The switching will be fun to work out. I ordered some slide switches - on/on and on/on/on for whatever I need. I want to be able to get either pickup alone/both in parallel/both in series in each group wired to a 4 way switch for some interesting pairing of singles in each group option as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.