Modding my Partscaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I put this together from parts a few years ago, but the pickups sounded better in another body that I have. So I decided to put those pickups in the other body later. That left me with a empty guitar.

I bought 2 sets of A5 P90's so I decided to put 3 of them in this guitar. I'll have to get a 5-way switch and cut the pickguard to fit. I made a template and I'll be getting the Dremel out this week.

I've been thinking of a 3 P90 Strat for awhile, this will be great I think. DSCN0804.JPG DSCF0809.JPG DSCF0807.JPG

teletimetx, Deneb, Dismalhead and 3 others like this.
  2. Zepfan

I got the pickguard butchered - I mean cut.:p The neck and bridge has a bit of gap on the sides, but it'll be okay because this thing is a bit hacked up anyway. Got it wired and put together, now on to the setup process, then play time and pics for you guys.

Deneb and awasson like this.
  3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

That is gonna kick-ass. Great colour for a strat too.

...and yeah pickguards are hard with a dremmel. I usually stick to black.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That headstock is . . . ah . . . unique.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Save the original parts so you can put it back to stock if you decide to sell it. lol

Deeve and hellopike like this.
  6. Zepfan

The headstock had a egg shaped tuner hole for the B string and a crack(under the paint) across to the other side. So I cut the headstock and moved the B & high E tuners to the other side.
    Just parts that I had and stuck together when I was short on funds.

7. Zepfan

Don't think anyone would want this Frankenstein.:D

Ricky D. likes this.
  8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Would love to see it when finished, love that color.

9. Zepfan

Will post it when finished. Orange is my favorite color and this is Chevy Orange Engine Enamel. It was a toss up of this or Burnt Orange Metallic.

Deneb and jackal like this.
  10. Zepfan

Got the 3 P90 partscaster sorted. I thought I would like the middle neck and middle bridge positions more than I do, maybe it's because they are so close together. Too much of a good thing can be a problem.
    I used a lot of aluminum shielding tape in the cavity and backside of the guard, didn't get rid of all the hum, but it took it down to bearable levels. A pic with it's brothers. DSCF0816.JPG

Deneb likes this.
  11. Zepfan

I may take it down to 2 pickups and a 3-way switch later.

12. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I have found that p90s have a very wide flat magnetic field due to the 2 magnets. This makes them more forgiving of placement than a strat pickup. It also leads to more overlap if they are close. A half-out-of-phase option may be fun to try.

Zepfan likes this.
  13. Zepfan

I played it through my high gain SS Amp and I like it more. The #2 & #4 switch positions are super fat, but no quack to speak of. The neck/#5 sounds great, the middle/#3 is good and the Bridge/#1 is pretty bright.
    Had to roll the tone back a little to tame the bright bridge. I know what it is - 25.5" scale length is the culprit. If this was a 24" to 25" scale it would be a totally different animal.
    I wish I could test it through my tube amp, but it's out of commission til it gets new caps.
    I did get my new Boss Katana 50 yesterday(2days early from FedEx without issue). I'll give it a go soon.

teletimetx and Deneb like this.
  14. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Your guitars have taken a worthy place in your house!

Zepfan likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Thanks. I just got the Silver DeArmond Bluesbird fixed up and it's fantastic. It was one of those deals that fall into your lap and you can't resist it.:)

Deneb likes this.
  16. Zepfan

I got to try this 3 P90 guitar out a little bit on my new 50watt Katana and it was good til a Thunderstorm came in and I had to shut it down. We've had 3 real bad thunderstorm with heavy lightning over the last week.
    One was so bad that it made my ears hurt. A lightning strike every couple seconds that felt like they were 50 feet away, made the hair on my arms stand up and you could hear sizzling and crackling sounds. Easily the worst lightning storm I've ever been in.

Deneb likes this.
  17. Zepfan

I thought about the way I wired these controls, I usually wire them in a Modern Wiring scheme instead of the typical P90 style wiring scheme. I'm thinking of rewiring it to more of a typical P90 50's type of wiring.
    Anybody have any thoughts/opinions on that?

18. Zepfan

It sounds good through my new Boss Katana 50. I'll probably change the wiring later.

Deneb likes this.
  19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like that with the 50’s wiring, where the tone stack is attached to the output side of the volume control, rolling back the volume control doesn’t affect the overall tone (doesn’t darken it). I prefer a modern value for the tone capacitor and I like using a linear volume control instead of a log/audio control. I find the linear provides a longer, more useful sweep. I use log/audio pots for my tone controls.

Deneb likes this.
  20. Zepfan

I had to use an A pot for the volume because I didn't have 2 B pots at the time. I just got 4 B pots in the mail, so when I do go back in to rewire it will have 2 B pots.

The aluminum shield tape keeps the noise down considerably til the Gain gets cranked up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.