Modding my J Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Zepfan, Aug 21, 2019.

  1. Zepfan

    Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

    Posts:
    10,066
    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2013
    Location:
    Horn Lake, MS
    It's a homemade small body J Bass that I made out of Malasian Rubberwood(AKA Malasian Oak) with a Maple neck and Rosewood finger board.

    I got the neck from GFS Factory Buyout Page and had little sanding to do on it. 34" scale.
    The body was a dinette chair seat pan. It was too small for the regular sized bass body so I used a old plywood Strat body as a template with a Tele shaped upper bout. The body was 1 &1/8" thick, so I added a 1/4" Red Oak panel to the top and back.
    The hardware and pickups are from GFS. Bone nut from Stewmac.

    I wasn't real happy with what I was getting so I tried wiring the pickups together in series That helped a lot, but I want some deep thud like the Gibson Thunderbird has. I want a minibucker style pickup for the neck. A CBG supplier has a Flatpup humbucker for 3/4/6 string guitars that have a 7k DCR. These pickups are really good and don't usually have any mudd to them. They use Neodymium magnets and the pickup mounts on top of the body, it's only 1/8 to 3/16" tall. all I have to do is drill a hole for the wires and pilot holes for the screws.

    So I'm going to give it a go.
     

    Attached Files:

    Bassman8 and Bones like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.