Modding my J Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Zepfan, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

It's a homemade small body J Bass that I made out of Malasian Rubberwood(AKA Malasian Oak) with a Maple neck and Rosewood finger board.

I got the neck from GFS Factory Buyout Page and had little sanding to do on it. 34" scale.
    The body was a dinette chair seat pan. It was too small for the regular sized bass body so I used a old plywood Strat body as a template with a Tele shaped upper bout. The body was 1 &1/8" thick, so I added a 1/4" Red Oak panel to the top and back.
    The hardware and pickups are from GFS. Bone nut from Stewmac.

I wasn't real happy with what I was getting so I tried wiring the pickups together in series That helped a lot, but I want some deep thud like the Gibson Thunderbird has. I want a minibucker style pickup for the neck. A CBG supplier has a Flatpup humbucker for 3/4/6 string guitars that have a 7k DCR. These pickups are really good and don't usually have any mudd to them. They use Neodymium magnets and the pickup mounts on top of the body, it's only 1/8 to 3/16" tall. all I have to do is drill a hole for the wires and pilot holes for the screws.

So I'm going to give it a go.

Attached Files:

Bassman8 and Bones like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.