1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modding my Blacktop Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Thales, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Thales

Thales TDPRI Member

Hey tele-people! Currently i dismantled my tele for a repaint. I love this guitar but it has always been sort of boomy, no matter what humbucker i put on it. Currently it has a Lollar El Rayo in the bridge, after a whole bunch of pickups i tried on it, so i am kind of sure that the pickups are not the problem, so i started thinking about pickup placement and measured the distance from the fully intonated low E saddle to the pickup pole piece and it measured 1,5" (4cm). Then i measured the distance of my SG and it measured 1,3" (3,5cm). The same pickup in those two guitars sounds very different. In the SG it sounds much more agressive, so i got my chisel and took 0,1" (0,5cm) from the rout, but i'm wondering if i should take an extra 0.1" (0,5cm) from it before i refinish the guitar. I love a bright guitar, so personally i think it would work, but i have my doubts. Any thoughts? Is 1,1" (3cm) too close to the bridge? Would it have some weird resonant problems?

Sorry for the long text.

2. Thales

Thales TDPRI Member

Disclaimer: I'm aware those guitars have different scale lengths and construction.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

if you haven't done so, change the pots to higher values. thats the first thing I'd do

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. cfreddy813

cfreddy813 TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Low pickup height creates "boomier" sound. Get the pickup closer to the bridge and it will be brighter and more agressive.

5. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

That's not a terribly big amount of movement IMO, the change would probably be very subtle.

6. Thales

Thales TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've done it! Changing the pots wasn't a option bcs the pikcup was connected directly to the bridge. Anyway, it sounds brighter and more aggressive :) And to cover the rest of the hole i just ordered a new pickguard

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd replace all the components in the control plate. Ensenada accepted those from an outside contractor, whole control plate assemblies done over in Asia and I just don't find that they're up to par.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I first put together a new project, I run the bridge pickup directly to the jack. To learn the basic personality of the new guitar; the nature of it. But eventually, in order to actually use it, I run the signal through the control plate - provide a means to bypass the pots through the blade switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.