Modding classic Line 6 pedals?

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm interested in having my old Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler modified... mainly to correct the notorious volume-drop when engaged, and also to replace the foot switches with chassis mounted switches. I've been looking at several places online who still seem to mod these pedals, and I've noticed that some refer to an "audio upgrade" where they replace some components... and others seem to throw the "audio upgrade" in with the volume-drop mod. Is it the same thing?

Anyone here have experience with any of these folks:

Loophole Pedals

JHV3

Monte Allums
(This seems to be a DYI kit, which I guess I could do. I have soldering skills enough to do pickups/switches/pots/jacks. And I have a multi-meter.)

I don't care anything about the "double preset" mod, or the side mounted expression mod. Or replacing the LEDs. If I find something/someone who works, I'll probably have my DL-4 modded the same way.

generic202

Tele-Meister
I don't have experience with those mod services but I have done the volume mod myself a few years back. The volume drop mod requires replacing a couple of resistors with a different value to increase the output buffer level. I don't remember which resistors or the value but I'm sure you could find them posted somewhere. However, these are tiny SMDs with delicate pads and while they are certainly replaceable, steady hands and quick in/out with the soldering iron are a must. I've seen some people put through-hole resistors on those SMD pads but it looks like a hack job so I personally used the same SMD resistors.

The audio upgrade is not the same thing as the volume mod. The audio upgrade replaces a handful of components with supposedly fancier op-amps (BB) and caps with the same component values. So it could be an improvement to some but some may not even hear the difference. For me, this kind of upgrade is a waste of time so I didn't bother.

Good luck!

TheGoodTexan

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't have experience with those mod services but I have done the volume mod myself a few years back. The volume drop mod requires replacing a couple of resistors with a different value to increase the output buffer level. I don't remember which resistors or the value but I'm sure you could find them posted somewhere. However, these are tiny SMDs with delicate pads and while they are certainly replaceable, steady hands and quick in/out with the soldering iron are a must. I've seen some people put through-hole resistors on those SMD pads but it looks like a hack job so I personally used the same SMD resistors.

The audio upgrade is not the same thing as the volume mod. The audio upgrade replaces a handful of components with supposedly fancier op-amps (BB) and caps with the same component values. So it could be an improvement to some but some may not even hear the difference. For me, this kind of upgrade is a waste of time so I didn't bother.

Good luck!

Good thoughts. Thank you!

I'm probably not the guy who is a quick in-and-out with the soldering iron. LOL

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Anyone here have experience with any of these folks:

I've done several of the Monte Allums mods... never a problem.

By far it's the least expensive route to modding your pedal, as long as you are decent enough with the soldering iron not to screw it all up. He is easy to deal with and his instructions are very clear.