1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Modded my Squier Bullet Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Itgoesto11, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

I Changed out the pickups, electronics and switch (to a 4-way), and electrosocket jack cup. Done.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  2. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I'm putting in dual humbuckers, upgrading the pots to CTS 500K units with a .022 uF cap and replacing the box switch with a mechanical 3-way switch. My jack seems OK for now - although I might upgrade that too at some point. Thanks!

3. Joancarlo

Joancarlo TDPRI Member

Nice work! Love what you did to your bullet tele! I think the bullet tele is a fantastic platform to mod, just like the Squier 51. Both guitars are great looking, good quality and easy to mod. I own several "legit" fenders and find myself having more fun with the bullet than with the others.
    I also bought a few bullet Teles last December to mess around with and practice modding on. Here are a couple of my bullet Teles:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I'd find a new decal and apply it. Not a fan of naked headstocks...even though I have several. Nice guitar.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

OP, how much difference in sound did it make to you? Just curious. Also I'm so confused, the affinities are supposedly better but why does it seem like the bullets have more stuff. My Affnity is not routed for a humbucker, nor does it have shielded paint in the cavities. And no strings through the body. These bullets look better than the Affinity I have. Weird.

6. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Those look amazing! What did you use to stain the neck?

7. Joancarlo

Joancarlo TDPRI Member

Thanks! Just good old brown shoe polish.

Rockdog likes this.
  8. don

don Tele-Meister

@Joancarlo love that TeleNorma! What bridge did you use and did you make that pickguard? Details please on the rest of the mods -

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i have been thinking the same thing. I am wondering if Fender realized how good these Bullets were going to be. I bought the Bullet for a modding platform, but it is really good right out of the box. I changed the nut to a Tusq and was thinking I would probably change the pickups but i think these pickups are great. I like them better than the pickups in my Baja. I will leave them but will put in a 4-way switch and will probably put a Cabronita neck on it. I like the maple fretboards. I will move the Bullet neck to a partscaster that has been sitting for a bit.

Squier Bullet front.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    bls82261 likes this.
  10. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I like the pick guard. The brass saddles look cool and i'm sure they sound great. The bridge looks like an OEM Squier bridge that can only be found on squier tele's. Fender Tele and gotoh bridges will not fit the bullett or affinity tele's I tried. I ended up just replacing the squier bridge with the Babicz full contact bridge. It is 500 percent better in tone(my opinion) than using string saddles with the little height adjustment grub screws. The sacrifice was losing the string thru body option for a bottom of the bridge string thru. Small price to pay for incredible tone in return. 4 way switch mod is great. I went with the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials for the pickups. I have to admit that this POS entry level guitar was a challenge.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  11. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

I love my bullet tele. I used mind as a modding platform. I replaced in order, the pickups, pots, switch, Knobs and switch tip, neck, neck plate, neck pickup (this time to a humbucker), pickguard and finally today the bridge plate and saddles. Currently it has a Hipshot bridge (had to drill new mounting holes) a Texas custom bridge pickup, a Seth lover neck pickup, mojo 3 way switch harness with full sized pots, an affinity neck with a fender water slide decal, (I’ll remove it eventually and put my own thing up there) the pickguard was a mint guard with a humbucker hole that I found on amazon. If I’m going to do anything else to this it will probably be adding a Hipshot bender. I’m not sure yet though. 25DE6029-9487-4820-AF1A-A1383E5E396F.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.