Modal tuning help

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Utah Joe, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

Greetings all. I just saw Adam Chaffins open for John Hiatt in Minneapolis and was quite impressed. He did a song called “I’m Over You” which really resonated with me and I’d like to learn it. It sounds like it was done in a modal tuning but I’m not sure which one. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

To my ear it sounds like something in e major and I think you could just do it in standard

3. 57fenderstrat

Yeah I picked up the guitar and at least the first few chords and E major and A major to my ears with that sus four riff on the Emajor and maybe a Sus2 on the A , I think you can get away with standard just fine and you could try to voice chords with the open high E and B strings

4. Utah Joe

Utah Joe Tele-Meister

Thanks very much for your help. I’ll play around with the chord voicings in standard tuning and see what I come up with.

5. 57fenderstrat

Yeah hopefully it helps and hopefully it’s right, the key sounds like e major but it’s kind of hard for me to pick out just one guitar part to focus on. As long as you can find the chords you can make it your own kind of instrumentation. If there is a live video those always help too. That song sounds nice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.