Mod to Tame the highs on a Crybaby?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by tacomamc, Jul 30, 2014.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I Have a run of the mill crybaby, was bone stock. I did the true bypass mod and vocal mod (forget the actual resistor values) and removed the buffer stage. The problem I'm Having at the moment is that when I engage the wah, the trebles are crazy present, rip-your-soul-in-half present. I'm playing a strat copy into a red stripe peavey envoy. What do you suppose I can change in the wah to tame those highs?

2. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Ya know, I actually forgot about this trick when I started this thread. I appreciate the reminder.

4. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

No problem, glad to help.

5. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

I modded an old Dunlop wah with a regular guitar passive tone control circuit at the output jack. A 250K pot with a .22uF capacitor, to ground. You can then roll off the highs and limit the top end of the wah, mellowing it out as much as you need. Because its placed after the way circuit, it has a stronger effect than using the tone control on your guitar. It worked pretty well.

I think the Jerry Cantrell wah uses this method.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Hey, that's a great idea.... Pretty simple, it would seem.

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

where did you mount the pot, to the side?

8. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

Yes. Drilled a hole in the side of the housing. It was an old 1980s era wah that became a mod/experiment platform. I tried most of the mods found around the internet. Even added a switchable buffer. It sounded good, but I was having trouble with the true bypass switch engaging. Eventually I got a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, which has a much wider more controllable throw on it, and really haven't used the old one in a while.

9. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

notyalcer,
    a 250k tone control at the end of circuit affects the wah sound quite a lot in a wah with no output buffer. the 250k pot/tone cap ends up in parallel with the outer lugs of the wah pot, effectively rebiasing the whole wah. if it sounds good, it's ok, but just a warning to people reading this , it may or may not work in your wah ( many wahs, it will hurt the tone of the wah in my experience both in LT Spice simulation and real builds.)

the cantrell pot on the side of the dunlop sig wah is a 5k pot that interrupts the ground connection at the wah pot, changing the highs emphasis. a nice mod by the either sam macrae or jeorge tripps.

10. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

to tacomac, you can try putting a simple cap across your pot lugs -- output lug ( blue wire ) to ground ( black). some dunlop bonamassa wahs have a 330 pf for a mild highs reduction, for more radical high rolloff you can go as high as 2200 pf ( aka .002 uf)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Joe, thanks for your input, I'll try it next time I've got my soldering iron fired up

12. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

Cool! I just tried this with a overly crispy sounding crybaby and it works toot sweet
    Went with a small trim pot inside the case rather than drilling a new hole for a side mount
    Excellent modification

13. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

The last one I experimented with, I did the usual tone mods, and true bypass, but installed the 470K pot used in the Jimi wah, and a red fasal inductor paralled with a .o22 cap. Very midrange tones, (I even dialed the gear as far as possible to the treble position). I may experiment with a variable pot on the next one.

Attached Files:

• Wah2.jpg
      Wah2.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.