Mod to make GCB work with Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by tacomamc, May 17, 2013.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I think there is a mod, but I don’t know what it is. I’m looking to be able to use my Russian Black Big Muff (true bypass) with the Cry Baby Wah. Regardless of the Muff going first, or second, the wah is either totally lost or barely does the “Wah” thing. The GCB is totally stock, and works great with a regular dirt pedal (Like the DS-1). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    I’m still going through Stinkfoots website now, trying to educate myself a bit.

2. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

Here's what I did:
    1. Remove input buffer
    2. Wire it true bypass
    3. Add an output gain stage with a volume control

I also added a q knob and a couple internal trim pots to tweak. An output buffer keeps it from being loaded by a fuzz pedal and makes it wah again, I just went one step farther and made it a simple op-amp boost with a volume control. Wiring it true bypass makes the input buffer unnecessary.

3. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Just a little thing that´s helped me.
    If you build a simple buffer and a true bypass box you have two gadgets that will show you just where a buffer or TBB will improve your sound.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I noticed that my guitar's tone control had very little effect at some settings on a Black Russian. I borrowed a mod from Skreddy's P-19 that seemed to help. Put a .0022 cap across lugs 2 and 3 of the sustain pot. It works like a treble bleed and keeps the muff from getting muddy at lower sustain settings. Never tried it with a wah in front but it's an easy mod. Maybe it will help.

5. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I'm in the process of moving to another state so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to try some of these, but I will. Thanks!

6. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

I just run the wah after the muff for the screechy top end wah

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.